Dash mount spectra backlight problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rick Rock

Dash mount spectra backlight problem

Post by Rick Rock »

I just got in a spectra that the backlight isn't working. I enabled everything in rss and still nothing. Just to see if it was the head, I put another radio head on it, and it lit up no problem. Is there a fuse on the head somewhere??? When you hit the DIM button, the display will dim like it's supposed to, just no button lights.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
williamh

Post by williamh »

i have the same problem with mine .... looked real close and couldnt find any blown fuse or broken foil trace ..lookes like it goes threw a chip ... and thats where i lost it ... no manual to figure out where the power comes in from... would like to know myself ... i would just jumper it out and have them on all the time ...

good luck ...
Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

You never said which control head you were using, so I will just assume it was an A5 or A7 type head.

The newer control head circuit boards have jumpers to override the backlight control. Jumper JU16 is installed and JU17 is not installed for normal operation. To always force the backlight on, jumper JU17 is installed and JU16 is removed. If both JU16 and JU17 are removed, then the backlighting will not work at all.

There is also a jumper JU100 that will only disable the keypad backlighting when it is installed. This jumper is also on the older circuit boards.

All of the backlight LEDs are controlled by transistor Q131. If it burns out, no backlights will work. The backlight LEDs are all in series, so if one burns out they all go out.

If the RSS selects an "enhanced" control head, it can be programmed so none of the backlighting will work. If you plug in an older head that is not "enhanced" compatible, it will ignore the software and the backlight will work anyway. If you plug in a newer "enhanced" compatible head the backlighting will be whatever is programmed in the RSS control head screen.

Your backlight problem could be a hardware failure, jumper settings or RSS programming related. There are quite a lot of different circuit board part numbers for these control heads.
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/spectra/#combo
Rick Rock

Backlight?

Post by Rick Rock »

Sorry I thought I'd posted the head- It's an older A-5 head #HLN6075D. As for Mike B's link- I don't see a link or anything to show where the jumpers are(?). If someone knows of a link to show where the above mentioned jumpers are, that would give me a good place to start!
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”