Waris, Global tuner help versus Basic service manual

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Shuttle

Waris, Global tuner help versus Basic service manual

Post by Shuttle »

Hi All.
It has occurred to me, that the Global tuner (R02.18.00) and basic service manual (both for HT750 AND GP300 (emea) -series) differ in terms of target values for tuning.
One example of the tuner help file being a bit "off", was in my earlier post about the PA Bias.

This made me check the BSM TR/RX perforamance test values.
All seem nice and well, but the rated audio is to be set at 3,46 Vrms (tuner help), but the BSM states to set it to 3,16 Vrms

3,16V would seem more reasonable, but what should they _really_ be tuned to?

Best regards,
Martin

ps, I would appreciate a move to the general population :-)
Shuttle

Re: Waris, Global tuner help versus Basic service manual

Post by Shuttle »

A quick follow-up. The tuner R02.05.00 states the following:
1. Inject a -47dBm RF Signal modulated with 1kHz tone at the 3KHz(for 25kHz channel spacing) or 1.5KHz(for 12.5kHz channel spacing) deviation.

2. Adjust the softpot value by using the slider, keying in the edit box (press ENTER to confirm selection/send a softpot value), or via the spin controls. Repeat this until 500mW(3.16V) audio power can be obtained for Professional and Entry Level Professional portable radios and 3W(8V) for Professional mobile radios.

3. Press Program to commit the softpot value into the codeplug.
Also, the GP300 BSM from nov 2001 (68P64115B18C) states the following:
Set volume control to
3.16Vrms
(GP320/340/360/380)
3.46Vrms
(GP344/388)
But the BSM from sep 2007 (6864115B18-D) has only listed the 3.16Vrms value.

Confusing. Really confusing :P

It would seem that someone collecting data for the R02.18.00 tuner manual screwed up and used the GP344 value.

So I'm really leaning towards 3.16Vrms.
Shuttle

Re: Waris, Global tuner help versus Basic service manual

Post by Shuttle »

Ooh, I got one more!

Check this out, Tuner R02.05.00:
VCO Attn. 25kHz
1. Under the Tx Align menu, select VCO Attn. 25kHz.
2. Begin with the lowest frequency. Select the thumb of the slider at the lowest frequency point and then press the PTT Toggle button to key up the radio at the corresponding frequency point. The spin control can also be toggled via its up/down arrow buttons. The softpot value can also be typed into the edit control (press ENTER to confirm your selection/send a softpot value).
3. Inject 1kHz :-
at an appropriate level for Professional portable and Entry Level Professional radios until 80mV rms is measured at the AC/DC METER(radio input) if using test box RLN4460A/B/C.
at 800mV for Professional mobile radios until 800mV rms is measured at AC/DC METER (radio input) to the External Microphone Audio Path.
Tuner R02.18.00:
VCO Attn. 25kHz
1. Under the Tx Align menu, select VCO Attn. 25kHz.
2. Begin with the lowest frequency. Select the thumb of the slider at the lowest frequency point(For HTIII radios, click on F3) and then press the PTT Toggle button to key up the radio at the corresponding frequency point. The spin control can also be toggled via its up/down arrow buttons. The softpot value can also be typed into the edit control (press ENTER to confirm your selection/send a softpot value).
3. Inject 1kHz: -
at an appropriate level for Professional portable, Entry Level Professional (Karisma) ) and Entry Level Portable (ELP – Guppy (CP200), Piranha (CP250), Piranha SELECT 5) radios until 2.3V rms is measured at the AC/DC METER(radio input) if using test box RLN4460A/B/C.

at 800mV for Professional mobile and Entry Level Mobile (ELM – Marlin (CM140, CM340), Marlin MidBand (CM340, CM360), Marlin+ (CM160, CM360)) radios until 800mV rms is measured at AC/DC METER (radio input) to the External Microphone Audio Path.
Heck, I reckon one would blow the mic-input with 2.3V!

Has anyone else come across these?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”