Nation wide license?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Nation wide license?

Post by arlojanis »

Can I get a nation wide license for portable radios that are not itinerant?
"The world runs on radio."
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Re: Nation wide license?

Post by sjxts3000 »

A standard FCC-issued technician or general amateur radio license and call sign is good nationwide.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

This is for stores in several states and more stores to be added.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

You're looking for a commercial license, then. (or stay with itinerant...which are good nationwide)
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

The radios will always be in the same store. No moving about the nation. Stores in several states. Want just one license for several reasons.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Contact the FCC
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

You can get one. Need top contact a corridnator
d119

Post by d119 »

Don't expect any exclusivity on any nationwide channels though. You will be sharing a channel with someone(s) else.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

EWA says only itinerant channels can be nationwide.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

arlojanis wrote:EWA says only itinerant channels can be nationwide.
In line with this I've noticed in ULS national retail chains with hundreds/thousands of locations have licenses issued for their individual locations (2 Km radius). These are IG licenses (Not IB itinerant). If one IG license would cover the nation they probably would have figured that out already rather than going thru the paperwork and cost of multiple locations. IB would probably not be desirable for them as they're pretty congested in some areas but they are available nationwide.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

If the system is just portables for in-store use MURS could be a good solution. VHF 2 Watt portables should provide adequate coverage and you will have 5 channels to choose from to avoid local interference. No license or coordination fees.

You are not going to get a clear licensed channel nationwide and you are likely going to be sharing with high power co-channel users in most areas vs MURS that is lightly used and you are only sharing with similar low power portable users.
Stage 2
What radios do you own?: HT1000,MT1000, HT50,MAXTRAC

Post by Stage 2 »

You could always go the GMRS License route. There are a lot of benefits for a relatively low cost. A $70.00 fee paid to the FCC gets you and your immediate family nationwide access to Both simplex and repeater frequencies in the commercial UHF band for a 5 year period. While there are only certain frequencies that you are licensed for, possibly the best benefit is the fact that there are GMRS repeaters everywhere in most parts of the country that are listed as "open" meaning that anyone who is a licensed GMRS operator is welcome to use them giving you great ranges even when just using portable radios. Not that you are limited to portables as you are licensed up to 50 Watts so mobile radios like Maxtracs etc. are legal to use. Yes, some repeaters are "members only and or permission required", but they are far and few between. In the case of permission required it usually takes an email to the owner that normally results in a positive response. Too boot, there are several simplex frequencies to use too. Also, unlike the no license FRS service that is limited to 1/2 watt, GMRS license holders can run 5 watts on most of the GMRS simplex frequencies. To look at the GMRS repeaters check out http://www.mygmrs.com. I'm sure there are others on this site more familiar with GMRS than I am, but, this is a brief overlook of it. GMRS is a great way to use radio if studying for a ham test is not for you, and, remember the license covers your family too! Hope this helps.
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST VITAL TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Stage 2 wrote:You could always go the GMRS License route. There are a lot of benefits for a relatively low cost. A $70.00 fee paid to the FCC gets you and your immediate family nationwide access to Both simplex and repeater frequencies in the commercial UHF band for a 5 year period. While there are only certain frequencies that you are licensed for, possibly the best benefit is the fact that there are GMRS repeaters everywhere in most parts of the country that are listed as "open" meaning that anyone who is a licensed GMRS operator is welcome to use them giving you great ranges even when just using portable radios. Not that you are limited to portables as you are licensed up to 50 Watts so mobile radios like Maxtracs etc. are legal to use. Yes, some repeaters are "members only and or permission required", but they are far and few between. In the case of permission required it usually takes an email to the owner that normally results in a positive response. Too boot, there are several simplex frequencies to use too. Also, unlike the no license FRS service that is limited to 1/2 watt, GMRS license holders can run 5 watts on most of the GMRS simplex frequencies. To look at the GMRS repeaters check out http://www.mygmrs.com. I'm sure there are others on this site more familiar with GMRS than I am, but, this is a brief overlook of it. GMRS is a great way to use radio if studying for a ham test is not for you, and, remember the license covers your family too! Hope this helps.
In one of his earlier posts in this thread, the OP stated that this is for a number stores in several states. GMRS is inappropriate for that application.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Another strike against MURS is he wants Motorola radios and they are probably type accepted for MURS.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

arlojanis wrote:Another strike against MURS is he wants Motorola radios and they are probably type accepted for MURS.
Take a look at the Motorola RMM2050 MURS radio. It should be perfect for this application.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

I was looking at the CP110 MURS and it was cancelled November 2014.
Stage 2

Post by Stage 2 »

Oops. That's my bad on not catching the Store operations :o

You could go with the Motorola RMM2050 MURS radios. These are a relatives of the RDX radios that my employer uses. Not the best, but, they get the job done.
Stage 2

Post by Stage 2 »

F.W.I.W., I just noted that I failed to mention that my employer actually has operations in neighboring states, but, both locations are under the same FCC license. I know this to be a fact as I am the license trustee and I requested it through our service provider. Hope this post actually helps!

Post by 601 »

The FCC does make non-itinerant frequencies nationwide, looking through the advanced license search I came across this license that has multiple non-itinerant frequencies for nationwide use.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... ey=3562499

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”