X9000 control head reset problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kt2728

X9000 control head reset problem

Post by kt2728 »

I am trying to reset 2 HCN1068 and 1 HCN1073 to be used on an X9000. I have tried the method on Mike B's site with the spectra and spectra RSS with no luck. is there another way to reset these control heads?
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
Jim202

Re: X9000 control head reset problem

Post by Jim202 »

You are not very specific on what radio your using. When you mention an X9000, I have to guess that your talking about a Syntor X9000 radio. If that isn't the case, then please inform us as to just what model radio your trying to use the control heads on.

It might also help if you provide some details on just what kind of a problem your having with the radio / control heads. The Syntor X9000 is a nice radio if that is what your trying to tell us your using. The Spectra radio also uses these control heads.

I have been using the Syntor X9000 radios for a number of years. I have found that there are a number of different versions of the software. Depending on the radio, the band your trying to use the radio on and the version of the software, you might be having a known problem. The low band radios will do both 10 meters and 6 meters with little to no problems except the antenna.

Another issue is people trying to use a windows computer with the DOS software to program these radios and control heads. They really require a pure DOS operating system to get them to play well. Though you will hear from some people that say they can get the radios to program using DOS Box type programming with a windows operating system. This is not a good choice as you can and will run into problems.

Another issue with the Syntor X9000 radios is that you will run into problems setting up the fixed scan lists with the non ham version of the software. You need to set up the radio with all normal commercial frequencies first. I normally use the option to duplicate the same channel (mode) into every position I need. Then set up the fixed scan list. Use an Excel spread sheet to keep track of what frequency will be in what channel location. Then go in and set up the ham frequencies using the ham version software.

Note that each channel (mode) can have it's own fixed scan list.

There is also an operator scan list that you can set up using the control head. But when you shut the radio off, removing power from the radio will cause the operator set scan list to go away. This is why there is the fixed scan list option. It will stay available even after power is removed from the radio.

Let the group here know just what your problem with the control heads are. Maybe one of us can come up with a solution.

Jim
kt2728

Post by kt2728 »

I have an dinosaur IBM laptop that will read and write the radio and old control heads without any problems. i am using the ham version software. What i am trying to do is blank or reset the EEPROM in the newer spectra control heads so that i can use them on this old Syntor X9000 low band. According to mike b's page it can be done, im just not having any luck with it. I didn't know if there were any other methods to try.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

OK, fine on the info so far. My next question is what version of the Syntor X9000 software are you using?

Then you know there is 2 different sections of the Syntor X9000 version you have to program the control head with one and the radio with the other. It has been a while since my last programming, but if I remember the control head uses the "CHPROG.EXE program. The radio uses RDPROG.EXE program.

I also make up an Excel spread sheet to keep track of just what each of the channel information needs to be. This way you have it all in front of you as you go along.

There are probably 8 or 10 of the Syntorx 9000 radios that I have in use either in my vehicle or in the workshop. Low band in my truck for 6 meter ham frequencies and the rest in the shop on all 3 of the bands. I did find the VHF radio is very sensitive to which version to use due to the VCO not working without the correct version being used in the 2 meter ham band.

I have run into the problem of some of the control heads I have ended up with that had trunking or some screwy stuff in them. The only way to clear them up was to put them on a Spectra and dump a good codeplug into the Spectra to clear the information that was in them. I do this by doing a clone selection in the software. In some cases I think I was even forced to use a version of the Spectra software that has the "Moflag" option in it. Not all of them let you get into that section of the programming.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

OK, fine on the info so far. My next question is what version of the Syntor X9000 software are you using?

Then you know there is 2 different sections of the Syntor X9000 version you have to program the control head with one and the radio with the other. It has been a while since my last programming, but if I remember the control head uses the "CHPROG.EXE program. The radio uses RDPROG.EXE program.

I also make up an Excel spread sheet to keep track of just what each of the channel information needs to be. This way you have it all in front of you as you go along.

There are probably 8 or 10 of the Syntorx 9000 radios that I have in use either in my vehicle or in the workshop. Low band in my truck for 6 meter ham frequencies and the rest in the shop on all 3 of the bands. I did find the VHF radio is very sensitive to which version to use due to the VCO not working without the correct version being used in the 2 meter ham band.

I have run into the problem of some of the control heads I have ended up with that had trunking or some screwy stuff in them. The only way to clear them up was to put them on a Spectra and dump a good codeplug into the Spectra to clear the information that was in them. I do this by doing a clone selection in the software. In some cases I think I was even forced to use a version of the Spectra software that has the "Moflag" option in it. Not all of them let you get into that section of the programming.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Jim
kt2728

Post by kt2728 »

in my drowsy state last night i failed to pick up on this from mike b's page.
Bruce Lane (http://www.bluefeathertech.com) has a new method of clearing the U0005 EEPROM trunking information from the SMD type control head.
Note, pulling the U0007 PLCC PROM and powering the head out of its housing can be tricky. The potential for damage to the head is fairly high if you don't know what you're doing.
PREREQUISITES:
(1) The control head in question must be a Syntor X 9000 / Syntor X 9000E / Spectra SMD type Systems 9000 control head with a PLCC SOCKETED firmware U0007 PROM chip.
HOW-TO:
(1) Open up the head, remove the circuit board with the Systems 9000 radio cable connector from the housing and pull the top shield off the microprocessor section. With some heads, you may need to desolder the top shield.
(2) Using a PLCC extraction tool, or an angled dental pick down the designated extraction slots in the PLCC socket, CAREFULLY extract the firmware chip from its socket. DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER OF ANY KIND! You will break the socket corners if you do. Also be very careful with the PC board traces under the U0007 PROM socket as sharp tool edges can easily cut these traces. The edge of the shield may get in the way of a PLCC extraction tool. This can usually be overcome as using the PLCC extraction tool presents the least chance of damaging anything. Note the beveled pin 1 chip corner.
(3) Connect the control head to a working radio setup and, while keeping the boards separated, flip on the power for about ten seconds and then power off again. During this time, the head will display some gibberish and the display may flicker.
(4) Reinstall the firmware chip (use the original pin 1 orientation), put the head back together, connect it to your desired radio setup, and power up. It will likely display at least 'FAIL 05/82,' possibly some other errors if the radio programming is goofy.
(5) Program as desired!
DON'T attempt this if you're uncertain of your tools or your skills.
after trying this method i got one of the HCN1073 heads to work. i am about to take on the 1068 heads next.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Sorry for the multiple posts with the same message info. The server was doing some strange things last night and either indicating the message wasn't posted or came up with an error.

Let us on here know how you make out. There are still a few of us that like to use the Syntor X9000 radios. Once you get them functional, they work well. I have had to play a little with the low band front end to peak it up just a tad for the frequency range I intend to use it in the most. You can squeeze just a little more sensitivity out of them.

The big issue on low band ham use is most of the 6 meter repeaters have gone by the wayside due to noise from cable TV leakage and computer network radiation. I know of several 6 meter repeaters that have been taken down due to the tower site just had too much noise to make the repeater receiver usable. The 10 meter activity doesn't seem to be that effected.

The start of this year provided some decent band openings on 10 meters between the New Orleans region into NY. and PA. frequently. But as the year moved on, the band openings went away.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Just thought I would add to this old post. Here it is almost the end of February of 2023.

The 10 meter FM segment on 10 meters is very active this year. Hearing all sorts of skip coming in just about each day. Most is on the 29.6 simplex frequency, but have also been hearing some repeaters showing up. The SSB portion is also very active.

Put those low band radios to work and see what you can hear. Most of the activity is during the day. But do get some after the sun goes down.

Jim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”