Moflag / BitBang failed on Spectra VHF A5 radio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HA5BRG
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000 SP04/06

Moflag / BitBang failed on Spectra VHF A5 radio

Post by HA5BRG »

Dear All,

I'd like to ask for some help from you. I wanted to revive one of my older analog-only Motorola Spectra radios. Originally it was a VHF model with an A5 control head (D43KXA4JA5BK).

Its command board was damaged due to a power surge and the traces were blown on it. I have replaced the command board and the MLM board as well. Now there is a v6.15 MLM in the radio. I didn't like the A5 head so I have switched to A4. Theoritically the MLM board supports zones (v6+) but I am having issues with enabling this option in the RSS.

I was using the following source of information to do the modifications needed:

http://www.batlabs.com/moflag.html

and

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... nging.html

I have reutilized the command board, aligned the proper bits to match the model number and the control head type, so it seems that almost everything is working fine. The radio now acts as an A4 VHF model. I can read it with the RSS, I can write it with the RSS, I can transmit and receive with it. The RSS version is R06.xx.xx.

I have also used the bitbanger in that special RSS to modify the MLM board values and the command board values to match the new features of the radio.

My problem is: the modified MLM values are stored properly in the MLM, the changes I have made are saved and they can be read out after powering off and on the radio...

...BUT...

...the command board always loses the modified data and reverts back whenever I turn on and off the radio. Don't forget that the radio resets itself when you exit from that special RSS' service section.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help me :)

Thank you in advance.
kd5ual

Re: Moflag / BitBang failed on Spectra VHF A5 radio

Post by kd5ual »

study the Batlabs link, it contains the info you need. The data located at the referenced locations on the MLM and Command board must match if they don't the radio will do what you describe
wendell
HA5BRG
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000 SP04/06

Post by HA5BRG »

Thank you for the quick reply on this issue. I did exactly the same steps what was described at Batlabs. Each bits are matching the others. I have double checked even the checksum bits. But no luck...
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

Okay. I am going to reveal something that cost me several bottles of Canadian Club on one of my trips through Schaumburg and a pile of gold wings at papadeaux in rolling meadows.

Step 1: Using the bit banger RSS read the radio.
Step 2: Select address B690. Set to FF
Step 3: Go through the Moflag area and turn on the bits you want.
Step 5: Select the Clone option and write to the radio.
Step 6: Using the bit banger select address B690 AND set to FF AGAIN.
Step 7: Power cycle the radio and you will find your changes will stick

Your welcome.
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

Okay. I am going to reveal something that cost me several bottles of Canadian Club on one of my trips through Schaumburg and a pile of gold wings at papadeaux in rolling meadows.

Step 1: Using the bit banger RSS read the radio.
Step 2: Select address B690. Set to FF
Step 3: Go through the Moflag area and turn on the bits you want.
Step 5: Select the Clone option and write to the radio.
Step 6: Using the bit banger select address B690 AND set to FF AGAIN.
Step 7: Power cycle the radio and you will find your changes will stick

Your welcome.

PS: I have not done this for several years but have performed this operation MANY times with perfect results. I can totally say been there done that.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”