Spanner ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

Spanner ?

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone remember what this spanner is for? I found it under a lot of things
on my bench and sure its been there for at least 15 years. I tried google
to no avail. Part number on it is 66B83772P01. I can not post a pic and
have not been able to do so for a long time.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Karl NVW

Re: Spanner ?

Post by Karl NVW »

No photo found, but I would start by thinking about removing the volume control or frequency selector switch on VERY old portables, back before all those functions were moved into software. What models did you have to repair often?
Another possibility could be the removeable antenna relay for Public Safety mic on the XTS family
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Does it have a plastic handle? What color? (the writing on all of mine is worn off).
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

com501 wrote:Does it have a plastic handle? What color? (the writing on all of mine is worn off).
Its all metal - no plastic handle. Only two HT's available from those days - HT600 and MT1000 models from
storage room complete with dust. Does not work or fit on anything from them.
fineshot1
NJ USA
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

MX bottom nut?
train_radio_guy

Post by train_radio_guy »

Was this the spline tool, made to remove the set screws the volume & channel knobs, from the HT-200 days, or are we talking about a nut that holds the volume & channel selector? One was made by the Bristle Company, while the later was a custom-made tool, which was produced by Xcelite.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - Sledge Hammer
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

It could be for the antenna mounting nut of the HT200 or HT220 or even the HT100 but I have no way to confirm this.
fineshot1
NJ USA
train_radio_guy

I know of a few radio techs back in-the-day, who 'modified' an appropriately-sized deep-well nutdriver or socket, with a small grinder, to work as a spanner wrench. The wrenches weren't pretty, but they did the job, without destroying the nut. There were also some spanner sockets, which could be attached to a 1/4-drive ratchet or straight-drive handle.

On the Repeater-Builder website, there is a creative approach to building a Spanner Wrench (http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... rench.html), for an antenna nut, albeit significantly larger in size, but the concept could be scaled-down to work, for your situation.

There are also a variety of tools, which may have been manufactured for another product, but will sometimes still work on Motorola Products.
- Cross Disassemble Tool:https://www.joom.com/en/products/5b5ee6 ... 015bac572f
- 1 Metric Spanner Nut Driver: https://www.mutualscrew.com/product/met ... 14611.cfm?
- 1/4" Spanner (for Nuts) Driver: https://www.mutualscrew.com/product/spa ... 48229.cfm?
- FrSky Tx Switch Nut Drivers: https://alofthobbies.com/tx-switch-nut-driver.html

Ultimately, shopping around is the best bet. With the sheer number of spanner nuts out there, used on a variety of products, someone has got to have found a solution, that works for your application.

Good Luck!

- Paul/trg, 8)
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Paul - thanks but apparently you did not read this entire thread. I DO NOT NEED one, I am simply trying to find out what it is for after finding this spanner under some rubble and this spanner part number above offers no clue.
fineshot1
NJ USA
train_radio_guy

I misunderstood the nature of your request.

A picture of the spanner tool in question, would help to identify it. Since you haven't been able to post a picture on the Batboard in some time, perhaps you could post a link to a picture of it, via an external site like Flickr. For example, https://www.flickr.com/photos/92983281@N04/26619158746/.

At any rate, I went back through my Motorola Parts Books, from 1997, for both mobile & portable radios, and I can't seem to find a part number even remotely close. The Genesis Series Radios (HT600/P200, MT1000, MTX800/900, etc...) used two Spanner Bits - Toggle Switch Spanner Nut (6680370B95), & Antenna Bushing (6680371B34). As you mentioned, your spanner wrench does not fit either of them, so that rules-out the Genesis Series.

I suspect your spanner wrench may be for an earlier radio. At this point I wouldn't rule out older mobile radios & pack sets (lunch box radios). It would be nice to know if there is some sort of a master data base, for searching Motorola Part Numbers online. This might help identify your spanner wrench & its associated radio.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

can not get to the above photo website - it and many others are blocked where i work hence no pic above
fineshot1
NJ USA
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

If your spanner tool is known to be newer than HT200 / HT220 portables (early 1970s), it could also be for MT500 or HT90/440 a decade later.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
train_radio_guy

I completely forgot about the HT90/HT440 portables. I owned one for a short period of time in the mid-1990's, but I never had the occasion or need to service it. Sadly, I have no documentation for it, so I can't check for the spanner in the service tools.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Karl NVW wrote:If your spanner tool is known to be newer than HT200 / HT220 portables (early 1970s), it could also be for MT500 or HT90/440 a decade later.
I have no information on this spanner and no way to know that
fineshot1
NJ USA
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

How about for Saber disassembly nuts at the battery plate ? You needed one of these to remove housing and was pretty common bit back then.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”