Jedi Antenna Identification

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yagermeister

Jedi Antenna Identification

Post by yagermeister »

Was wondering if anyone has used a Motorola stubby UHF antenna that is 90 mm long. It has the bat wings logo on the base and is marked UHF and it has a white insulator around the center connector and green around the base of the threads. I can't find it listed anywhere.
WA7IEP
WQZW304
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Re: Jedi Antenna Identification

Post by KG4INW »

That sounds exactly like the 430-470 MHz PMAE4023B antenna intended for the XPR6000 series portables. I thought they made one without GPS but I'm not seeing that variation.
https://shopwiscomm.com/PMAE4023B-PMAE4 ... 79529.aspx
yagermeister

Post by yagermeister »

That looks exactly like it! I have it on an EX-560 and it seems to work well on a repeater that's about 25 miles away. What do they do to make it a "GPS" antenna? I'm happy there are sites like this to help figure things out as the Motorola Solutions site is very tough to look for antennas on.
WA7IEP
WQZW304
yagermeister

Post by yagermeister »

Looked up the part number on Motorola Solutions. It's described as a folded Monopole antenna, UHF and GPS enabled. It doesn't seem the end of the antenna is connected to ground, as others I've seen described. It seems to work fairly well on my MT-2000, but I wonder if it is an impedance mismatch for it. I guess if it works it can't be too much of a mismatch.
WA7IEP
WQZW304
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

It should be fine with your radio, as you've already observed. It's actually two antennas in one, UHF two way and GPS receive. The XPR6350s and 6550s have GPS receivers but needed the correct external antenna to function. Your radio will just ignore the GPS part.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

If there is a list of antenna for the XPR series portables can someone plz list it?
fineshot1
NJ USA
yagermeister

Post by yagermeister »

Do you know if it is just a folded monopole as they list, but not a helical antenna? Would be interested to see what the internals look like but don't want to destroy an antenna.
WA7IEP
WQZW304
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

This catalog has everything currently available. Including all other accessories, it's a big catalog but you'll find the antennas starting on page 64. It's the best chart I've found thus far.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/conte ... sories.pdf

To answer your question yagermeister, I've no idea other than what Motorola has published, unfortunately.
yagermeister

Post by yagermeister »

Thank you for providing the link. Much better than trying to sort thru antennas on their website.
WA7IEP
WQZW304

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”