how to communicate with an AstroTac 3000 Comparator

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ldanna

how to communicate with an AstroTac 3000 Comparator

Post by ldanna »

Hello group,
I've been working to use an astrotac 3000 comparator in an Amateur radio mixed mode repeater system. I got it working OK so far but I would like to be able to extract live info and control from the comparator. In research I found third party products that are used to monitor and control the comparator. Being a cheap Amateur I need info on info that can be read from the RS 232 port on the Scm if possible. CTI products has a device that talks to the synchronous port J 15 I have no Idea how to interface with a synchronous port, Any Info here. Is there info on the available commands that one can talk to the comparator via the rs232 port ?
One critical thing I need is to get a COS signal out of the comparator when a analog signal is voted so I can interface it to a repeater analog controller. The controller is used to do analog linking with other repeaters. One solution is to use a companion Digitac analog voter. But I have no rack space to do that . Any ideas or information out there would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
regards
Larry
d119

Re: how to communicate with an AstroTac 3000 Comparator

Post by d119 »

Only way I've ever seen to get voting information out of these things is with the CTI Products equipment.

I wouldn't put any DIGITAC comparators in service due to high failure rates as they age (and I speak from experience). Your money is better spent on a JPS SNV12 or SpectraTAC comparator for analog voting.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”