AstroTac Receiver ATAC3000 interface Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ldanna

AstroTac Receiver ATAC3000 interface Problem

Post by ldanna »

Hi Group,
I've been working on interfacing an AstroTac Receiver to an ATAC 3000 comparator. for P25 Digital. Reading the Codeplug it shows the unit is a Quantar Satellite Receiver not an Astrotac Receiver. (curious) The problem is that it seems the unit thinks there is no wireline installed. Wireline is part of the PS module in the ATAC Rx. Looking at the Status panel screen it shows wireline off. When I try to validate the station it shows wireline not installed But it also says V.24 link installed. I've connected other Astrotac receivers to the ATAC with no problem. There is no interface V.24 cable issues as the same cable is used for each Rx. Same problem occurred with another AstroTac Rx but in that case I changed out the Power Supply board with another unit and it worked. Are there differences in PS/ WIreline cards? No changes to codeplug Quite confusing. Swapping the PS/Wireline and the V.24 link worked and the ATAC responded when the RX was active . So the questions are . Is there a setting on the Power supply / Wireline card that tells RSS whether there is wireline present? Is there a software setting to turn on the wireline ? Is there a Firmware issue here ?

Any Suggestions to enlighten will be appreciated
Thanks
Larry
ldanna

Re: AstroTac Receiver ATAC3000 interface Problem

Post by ldanna »

OK here is an update,
I looked at 2 PS/Wireline cards for the AstroTac Rx. PS1 is a CLN 6959B32 (working PS) PS 2 is a CLN 6959A47 (not working PS)
As an experiment thinking there is a firmware issue I swapped the firmware between the 2 units . Result both PS won't work. I swapped back and the original PS that worked indeed worked again (I guess I didn't Screw it up)
So there is indeed a difference with the 2 PS/wireline cards. Does anyone have any info on the 2 boards to reveal why one works and the other doesn't?

Thanks
Larry
xmo

Post by xmo »

It is probably related to the station [EPIC] firmware version. There is a relationship between which wireline versions work with what station versions.

The newer station firmware loads the wireline code at bootup but earlier cards won't accept it. This accounts for your observations.
ldanna

Post by ldanna »

interesting so I'll look for an earlier SCM to see if that makes a difference . I assume that the scm for am AstroTac RX is workable in a BAse station I may have an earlier base I can swap the SCM with. What do you think

Larry
xmo

Post by xmo »

I believe that you are correct - the station control board is the same in the station and the receiver.
ldanna

Post by ldanna »

tried several scm older with on board chips and newer with firmware on SIMM and none showed a wireline installed. Curious all showed the V.24 installed . Is there a listing showing the various PS wireline firmware and the associated SCM firmware that it works with? is there a diagnostic check to identify the problem easier

Larry
d119

Post by d119 »

An EPIC is an EPIC is an EPIC. With certain exceptions, you can swap station control boards between Satellite Receivers, AstroTAC receivers, Quantars, etc.

Hi Larry :) KOKOK!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”