Astro / Spectra DIM keypad backlight issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Astro / Spectra DIM keypad backlight issue

Post by MT2000 man »

So, I have an Astro Spectra VHF 110 watt remote mount with a W5 head that has an odd issue. When I start my car the display is on full brightness with no keypad backlight on. I’ll hit dim, and the next setting puts the backlights on the keys. I’ll shut the car off and when I restart it, the radio didn’t remember the last DIM setting and defaults to just the display on with no backlight to the keys.

On reading some older threads I’ve read three things -

1. That having the DIM settings remembered is only available with an “enhanced” control head
2. - it’s a simple fuse / soldering in the back of the control head to make this work
3. - it’s in the actual programming of the radio.

I called the radio shop where I bought this from and the radio tech said that this head didn’t go with this radio and he doesn’t know if there’s a section in the Astro Spectra to turn this feature on / off.
Anyone have any clue about this ? It’s not really a big deal, I suppose I can live with just pressing the DIM button everytime it gets dark out haha
NHfirefighter

Re: Astro / Spectra DIM keypad backlight issue

Post by NHfirefighter »

Check under radiowide or display settings - I can’t remember for sure which one it is in the cps. There is a checkbox for remember dim state. That should fix it.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Thanks for the reply !

I figured it was a programming issue. This radio is actually already installed in my car, and I don’t have access to Astro Spectra CPS. Neither does my installer shop that I had the equipment mounted in have the capability to program an Astro Spectra either. So I would have to take the radio out and have it shipped to someone just to turn on this feature.

Eh, I’ll probably just hit the DIM button when it gets darker out

Unless someone knows of someone in the Phoenix area that could help out / I could just take my car to - would be greatly appreciated
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Upon further inspection I’ll have to have this reprogrammed anyway. I wanted DOS turned on to block that annoying MDC squawk and that was never turned on. Hopefully there’s a radio shop around here I can just take it to. Having it taken out of the car, shipped then shipped back, put back in the car etc is too much work lol
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Fixed it ! Sure enough “save dim state” was not checked off. Works fantastic now. Thanks the the help !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”