Spectra Mode Names Unavailable

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB6NVH

Spectra Mode Names Unavailable

Post by WB6NVH »

I am dealing with the learning curve on Spectras, having not used them before. In programming a VHF A5 dash mount Spectra I noticed the channel (mode) names were just 1, 2, 3 etc. rather than alpha-numeric as on all the other Spectras I have. In the RSS, there is no place to type in the mode name on the menu page for any mode, and in the radio-wide options it says "Mode Names Unavailable" and you can't select that category to change it.

This radio is a D43KMA7JA5BK, and the RSS in use is Ver. R06.00.05 from 3/6/1993.

The RSS has the mode name function on all the other Spectras I have, it just won't let me do it with this one. Is there any way to turn on the mode names on this model, or were some just made like this where you can't? The RSS doesn't allow you to select anything to do with mode names on this radio, the category can't be selected. On other DxxKMA7JA5BK radios, it can.

Geoff
WB6NVH
Monterey CA
Jim202

Re: Spectra Mode Names Unavailable

Post by Jim202 »

Don't feel bad. This assumes that you originally set up the save directories in the computer. Many have been in the same boat before you.

Select :F2 Read from radio.

Select F3 then F7 to save the radio codeplug to to computer hard drive. This lets you cecoup any major goofs you might make along the way.

Select F10 to go back to the main dierectory.

Select F4 to change / create / view the radio codweplug.

Select F3 for Concentional configuration.

Sect F2 for radio wide configuration.

On the right side of the screen, the 6th line down you will see MODE NAMES. It has to be "ENABLED". To do this use the up or down arrow on your keyboard. Note, you can also select your home zone and home mode there as well.

Select F10.

Select F5 again to be able to enter the mode name, frequency, talkaround and PL tones as needed. Don't forget to set the TIME OUT TIMMER to something like 120 seconds or more.

When your done entering the information for all your moded needed, select F10 and then F10 again to get back to the main menue.

Then F3 and then F8 to program all your changes back to the radio.

Then hit F7 to save the updated info to the hard drive.

Don't forget to hit F10 to get back to the main menue. Them F10 again to get out of the programming software.

Setting up the scan lists for each mode and zone is a whole different page to your education.

Good luck at your efforts.

]Jim
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Hi Jim- Some time has gone by but that was a no go. Enable mode names was not available no matter what. It was either grayed out or said not available. This was the only one of several that had this issue. Someone had tried to convert it to a HHCH A3 (?) MLM, probably with LAB, and made a mess of it (not me!) I installed a new blank MLM, programmed it and the issue went away.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Yup, bit-banging the MLM without doing it right can screw things up. If those old MLMs still work but just missing that feature, you can bang it back in if you have the patience.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

One other note worthy of mentioning, I have pulled the MLM boards out of some 800 MHz. radios and used them on low band, VHF and UHF radios with good luck. Just remember, you need something working before you can copy it to work to work else where.

The MLM bit banging can be a major task if you haven't been through it before. Just remember the old Motorola tech saying "Garbage in will result in garbage out".

Trial and error is a great teacher if you can keep a cool mind while learning the steps.

I like to use zones to provide me with more channels (modes in Motorola lingo) that I can set up to match radio channels in the area I am driving through. Just program a control head button or buttons to give you zone up and zone down selection, if this is what you may choose to use.

Not all versions of the MLM board will do zones.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”