Proper Computer to Run RSS for Syntor X9000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WA3RAD
What radios do you own?: Syntor X9000, Micor, Motrac

Proper Computer to Run RSS for Syntor X9000

Post by WA3RAD »

I need someone to clear the air for me once and for all. I am converting Syntor X9000 radios for use on the VHF and 440MHz ham bands. I see a lot of discussion about RSS versions for the X9000 and the speed of the computer that can be used. I have Syntor X9000 RSS version R08.01.00. According to the RSS software listing on this web site, this version of RSS was released on 12/13/95. Computers were fairly advanced by that point in time. With this version of RSS, am I still limited to a 20 MHz or slower 386/486 machine if I want to program radios reliably?

I am a newcomer on this board and I am an amateur radio operator. Years ago I worked in the public safety communications business and had lots of experience working on 2 way equipment (HT220, Motrac, Micor, GE MASTR, etc.). Been away from the business for more than 20 years and things have really changed since then. :wink:

Thanks for any assistance.

Charlie
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Charlie,

Try using a program called mo'slow. This program allows you to slow down your computer enought to the point in DOS where you can run Syntor x9000 software.

I usually run mo'slo around the 5% to 10% when running SYN X9K software. I run SYN X9K software on a 700 Mhz laptop running WIN 98 and DOS.

All I can say is remember to run mo'slo in true DOS not a DOS shell through windows otherwise the software will not work. I think you can get a copy of mo'slo on batlabs or at least get directed as to where you can get one. My copy was loaded on from work so I do not know where they got it from.

Hope this helps and please let me know how the conversion goes. On my SYN X9K I get to 146 Mhz and then that is about it. But also I have not had a lot of time to play with the radio and tune it either.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
Paul
What radios do you own?: You can't imagine!...

Post by Paul »

I had to put back in service my old XT machine to program the 'X9k.
But I didn't play alot with Mo'slo.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

The Syntor X 9000 RSS really wants a 386 at 8 MHz or slower for RELAIBLE programming. 386 and 486 machines up to 40 MHz and possibly faster have been used, but if you get them to work at all, they do experience random programming failures.
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/syntorx/p ... #pgq_cfast

I recommend getting an old laptop from some place like eBAY. You should be able to find a working 386 / 20 laptop or slower with a hard drive for around $ 25 or less (as mentioned in the above link, a dual speed 8/20 MHz is perfect). The battery will probably be toast, so look for one with an AC adaptor. You can also hollow out old dead laptop battery packs and put 12 volt external power connectors in them. 20 MHz works fine unless you are servicing lots of Syntor X 9000 radios and need to avoid getting the occasional computer speed induced programming error. The trouble is these speed related errors are misrepresented in the error reports and they can send you on some wild goose chases trying to track down nonexistent problems or trick you into tossing out perfectly working radio parts.

You will find your RSS version is not HAM frequency friendly above 53 MHz on 6 meters or for 440 MHz. Since the few people that have hacked the RSS X9k band limits have never revealed their methods, you may need to locate a hacked RSS. The code plug binary can also be hacked with EEPROM programming hardware, but you have to get the CRC check value to come out correctly.

BTW, not all "clone" RIBs can program the Syntor X 9000 because it uses the Systems 9000 serial bus with the busy line:
http://www.open.org/~blenderm/syntorx/systems9k.html
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

And Welcome to the Batboard.

If you do a search, you will find alot of information
on this subject.

The ideal Prorgam Platform for the X9000 is a 386, and
even / most 486-25's will work when using DOS 6.22

DO NOT try and program the X9000 series radio with
anything faster or under a Windows Platform.

What is MOST important, is to have a " Stable " & Reliable
Program Platform regardless of the cost, and also a Factory
Rib Box is highly recommnended as the majority of clones
do not support X9000's Polaris is one of them.

Anyhow, if you have troubles, post them to the board
and I am sure many members will be glad to add information
to help

Monty
Need help on a Program Cable or (/\/\) Rib Box ?
Contact me anytime/All availible / Free Support Info !

mail to: MSisco9939@aol.com
PLease avoid PM's whenever possible. Box gets too full.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

That's part of what I love about this place: some questions are answered before you ask them! I too will be attempting, for the first time, to program a Syntor X9K in the near future. I am using a clone RIB, but since I built it myself, modeled directly on the OEM, I think that it should work ok. Now if only I can find the RSS..... 8)
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”