Gr1225 link with cdm750

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ems46pa
What radios do you own?: too many too list

Gr1225 link with cdm750

Post by ems46pa »

what is the easiest and most cost efficent way to link a cdm750's recieve audio into a gr1225's transmit?
John Trimble
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Gr1225 link with cdm750

Post by wavetar »

Hi John,

I read your PM at home the other night & had intentions of contacting you once I was back using my work computer, then promptly forgot.

Wiring the CDM link radio into a GR1225 is relatively simple. Everything is done through the accessory connectors.

In the GR1225:

1) In the radio wide screen, set the "operation mode" as "linked repeater".
2) In the external accessories screen, set the "ACC External" as "General I/O".
3) Set Pin 8 as "CSQ detect" or "PL/DPL & CSQ detect" if you're using a PL/DPL. Set it as an "output", active "LOW".
4) Set the "RX Audio Output" as "Flat", and the "RX Audio Muting" as "Muted".
5) Set the "External Mic" as "External Mic Audio".

In the CDM, the programming is similar:

1) In the "Radio Configuration"-->"Accessory Pins" screen, set Pin 8 as "CSQ detect" or "PL/DPL & CSQ Detect", output active low.
2) Pin 3 should be defaulted to "External MIC PTT", if not, change it.
3) In the "Accessory Configuration" screen , set "External PTT Audio Source" to "Ext Mic Audio".
4) Set "RX Audio Type" to "Filtered Audio".

For the wiring, it should be as follows:

Code: Select all

CDM Radio                                GR1225

Pin 2 (ext mic audio)                        Pin 11 (RX audio)
Pin 3 (PTT)                                  Pin 8 (RX detect or "COR")
Pin 7 (ground)                              Pin 7 (ground)
Pin 8 (RX Detect or "COR")                  Pin 3 (PTT)
Pin 11 (RX audio)                           Pin 2 (ext mic audio)
I don't recall off-hand, but I believe there are some audio adjustments in the 1225 alignment screens you can play with if the sound isn't quite to your liking. When I was done, I couldn't tell the difference between local repeated audio and linked audio. Good luck,

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
ems46pa
What radios do you own?: too many too list

Post by ems46pa »

Thanks for the info, I thought it could be done this way, I remember reading somewhere about it, but could not find it in a search on here .
John Trimble
kb3awq
What radios do you own?: Kenwood and Motorola and Icom

Post by kb3awq »

I know this is an old post but since it is related to what I am doing right now.... I'm not using a CDM 750 but I have seen this listed elsewhere. In the Maxtrac I'm not seeing an option to change pin 3 so can only hope it is PTT. In the programming of the accessory connector it begins with pin 4. I am trying to get a 6 meter Maxtrac and a UHF Maxtrac to crossband both ways but right now can only get them to go one way. I have ordered another cable just in case the bidirectional one I have now is not right. Eventually I plan to hook the 6 meter maxtrac to a UHF GR-1225 so it will bring some activity to 6 meters.
John W. Springman III - KB3AWQ.com
GMRS - WQGU515
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kb3awq wrote:I know this is an old post but since it is related to what I am doing right now.... I'm not using a CDM 750 but I have seen this listed elsewhere. In the Maxtrac I'm not seeing an option to change pin 3 so can only hope it is PTT. In the programming of the accessory connector it begins with pin 4. I am trying to get a 6 meter Maxtrac and a UHF Maxtrac to crossband both ways but right now can only get them to go one way. I have ordered another cable just in case the bidirectional one I have now is not right. Eventually I plan to hook the 6 meter maxtrac to a UHF GR-1225 so it will bring some activity to 6 meters.
So...what exactly is your question? You are correct, pin 3 is hard coded as PTT (active low) in the Maxtrac. Beyond that, not sure what you're asking.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

kb3awq
What radios do you own?: Kenwood and Motorola and Icom

Post by kb3awq »

Just that I had seen it posted online somewhere about changing pin 3 but thats not possible in the programming. I have decided to use different equipment which is probably a better idea anyway due to the age of the Maxtracs and if my computer were to go I wouldnt be able to change things anyway.
John W. Springman III - KB3AWQ.com
GMRS - WQGU515
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ok. Well, in terms of making a proper bi-directional cable, the PIN numbers I give also apply to the Maxtracs, if you decide to try it out.

Will

Post by Will »

With Maxtrac/Radius radios you should add a 2,2 K resistor and a 2uF capacitor in the RX audio line from each radio. This gives the correct level and isolates the op amp in the radio.

+ side of the cap towards pin 11.
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

Ok, trying to get this set up today. I made the cable, but have a question:

The setup I have is a UHF repeater with PL (186.2), and a Low band CDM which is CSQ.
Pin 8 settings: On the repeater side, PL & CSQ detect, while on the CDM set to CSQ detect>

Does this sound right???

thanks!!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Yes that would be correct.
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

Thank you!!! Will let you all know how it turns out!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”