MTR2000 Audio

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tuckerm

MTR2000 Audio

Post by tuckerm »

I have an MTR2000 connected via Wireline (2 wire) to an MIP5000. The MTR2000 has sat unused for quite sometime and I've turned it back on, narrowbanded it, and adjusted the RX volume so the consoles can hear it again. It's the Wisconsin "Point to Point" frequency of 155.370 used for hailing other dispatch centers.

I have two issues with it remaining I'd like to tweak.
1) The audio sounds overmodulated on it while transmitting.
The audio recorder has the audio perfect: https://soundcloud.com/tuckerm/recorder/s-dS5nj however other radios hear it as such: https://soundcloud.com/tuckerm/radio/s-a2xsR. I don't think its a setting in the MIP but rather the CPS. Does anyone have any pointers on what it may be?

2) Sometimes if I transmit using this radio and get an answer from another agency it won't key up. Basically, I'll transmit my traffic, the other agency responds on their base station, and if I transmit right away it will not key up the MTR2000. I can hear my transmit audio on the recorder but not on another base radio.

Any help would be really great.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Bill_G

Re: MTR2000 Audio

Post by Bill_G »

Have you done the transmit audio calibration procedure, checked line levels, etc? MTR's are quite musical when adjusted correctly.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

What TX level is the MIP box putting out? Is the MTR2000 co-located, or is this being done over leased lines? Standard desired level going into the MTR wireline would be -10 dBm. If co-located, the MIP side likely needs to be turned down, it's probably set for 0 dBm.

For your 'quick TX' problem, first step I would have someone at the MTR monitoring the high & low level guard tones to ensure the MIP is generating them when the issue occurs.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

The MTR is co-located upstairs, looks like the used the traditional CAT5 for wireline. On the Motorola CSDM it shows the TX level as -10dBm. I can readjust the level to 0 and see how that sounds.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

No. Wrong direction. If it's distorted at -10, then it will be worse at 0. Perform the MTR alignment procedure for the wireline and deviation. It's built into the RSS.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”