argus 12 battery backup schematics???

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

argus 12 battery backup schematics???

Post by VE3TUH »

Hi. I have a site that was hit with a power surge, and blew up my argus 12 battery backup unit. Its a 010-519-20. ANY chance somebody might have schematics for this thing? I have been into it, both fuses blew as well as a diode, fixed that but i cant get the relay to energize that supplies the load side for 12 volts. replacement cost on this thing is unreal, I would really like to try to fix it.

Much thanks,

Randy
Jim202

Re: argus 12 battery backup schematics???

Post by Jim202 »

Can't help you with the Argus unit.

But have you considered installing a good power surge protector on the power line feeding your equipment. They do work and can sure help in preventing problems like you now have.

The other area I would look at is what kind of a ground system you have. If you don't have one or have a poor one, just adding an power surge protector will not do much for you.

Also relying on the electrical power ground is a poor move. If it is old and has been there for many years, it is time to replace the ground rod and add another one some 8 or 10 feet away at a minimum. The real rule of separating ground rods is to space them twice their length apart so not to overlap the cone of influence around them.

Use heavy, solid copper wire for any ground connections you have. The larger the wire, the better off you are. In the cellular field we always have used #2 solid, plated to reduce corrosion. But for the average person, you can probably get away with #8 or #6 solid wire. Normally a place like Lowe's or Home depot carry it. They will pull off the length you need and your on your way to the check out. Don't forget to also pick up the grounding clamps to go with any ground rods you get.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I assume this is installed with a mtr2000?

I never understood the real need for that device. The MTR has a built in transfer relay from AC to DC, so just add a battery charger. The only thing I don't know about is if the MTR2K has a low voltage disconnect, however you could always add one,?
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Post by VE3TUH »

Since it ties right into the +12v on the repeater, I was leery of using a battery charger. It would have to be a pretty good one. Anyways I did manage to fix the Argus, but still wouldnt mind getting schematics, or even a spare Argus unit if the price was right.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”