digital linking with Quantars

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ldanna

digital linking with Quantars

Post by ldanna »

Question ,
I would like to setup 2 Quantars back to back to link to another repeater. Manual shows the RA/RT analog configuration but I want to link digital so both repeaters can run Mixed mode and be connected. So far I have 2 Quantars on the bench both setup as repeaters running Mixed mode. the 2 are connected digitally via V.24 port 1 on each .Cross cable made and both show constant V.24 LED on control panel. Lifting cable cause the leds to blink so they are talking to each other I surmise.
Is there a specific configuration needed in the codeplug or other missing connections.
I have this working at one site but there is an Astrotac Comparator at that site. I want to avoid the Astrotac since there is only 2 radios at this site.

Can this work? Has anyone done this?

Thanks
flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

Re: digital linking with Quantars

Post by flyinace09 »

This can help with the analog linking side... http://p25.io/analog-linking-using-em-cards/
And this can help with the digital side... http://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Allstar_ ... on_Quantar

I have not personally set up this yet but have the components and am getting ready to bench test the setup. Essentially to combine the two together I used the Cisco E&M cards on analog and the v.24 cards for digital. The routers I bought are Cisco 2811XM models with the DSP module for the analog processing side. Point each router to each other, and connect to Quantars.

Programming the Quantar should be like the wiki article I linked but I haven't verified just yet. Essentially the mixed mode operation should work as that though.

I haven't found a single write-up for such operation so I was hoping to do so once I finished it up. It is the plan of myself and a few others to link 2-3 repeaters in a multicast configuration for our non-ham repeaters.
ldanna

Re: digital linking with Quantars

Post by ldanna »

Thanks for the reply,
the link got me thinking and I went back to the setup of the codeplug.
I did miss a setting in the wireline astro tab which had a setting for turning RT RT on . I enabled that setting and now the 2 radios talk fine so far

Thanks again for the group

Larry

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”