Frankenstein Quantar?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Scrotumola

Frankenstein Quantar?

Post by Scrotumola »

I do not know if this has been already asked, so after perusing through some threads for the last half hour I'll ask....

How difficult... or is it even possible to Frankenstein build a Quantar repeater? If so, has anyone done it? Success or fail?

With all of the recent FRUs and surplus units surfacing of late, would taking a $150 800 mhz backplane, power supply and perhaps even the SCM and get them to play nice with a UHF range 2 receiver, exciter and PA? Alignment of the usual suspects would be in order, but is this possible/practical? Or is it an extreme perversion of their hot swappable component design?

Obviously this would be for amateur use and NOT mission critical public safety.

Thanks!

~S~
alex
Administrator

Re: Frankenstein Quantar?

Post by alex »

There's no difference between a FRU and what is installed in the station. Stations are built at the factory based on FRU's if that makes sense. Your only challenge might be some minor firmware differences between components. For the most part everything functions without issue. You will have to go through a full alignment though to marry the components together. When you do the PA Alignment best practice is to use a BIRD or similar because the stations tend to jump past the power rating of the monitors and I've seen some significant differences in power readings between a in-cal monitor and a Bird Watt Meter. There are some differences in SCM's and the versions out there - I'm not too familiar with all the differences personally.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
Astro Spectra

Re: Frankenstein Quantar?

Post by Astro Spectra »

That's how it's done.

You can even alter the ranges of the RF modules see W9CR's excellent site:

http://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Quantar

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”