Connecting two mtr-2000's

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tomsttsa
New User

Connecting two mtr-2000's

Post by tomsttsa »

I have a VHF and a UHF MTR-2000's for our radio club. Has anyone connected both together using j7 or the system connector without a controller?
thanks Tom
Jim202

Re: Connecting two mtr-2000's

Post by Jim202 »

It's not wise to connect 2 radios together without some sort of interface. You will not have any control over audio levels and it is a must to set the time out timers in both radios to keep from locking up either transmitter.

There have been a number of people pedaling interface boards just for this purpose. Been a long time since I have looked into it as I use to work for a company that made radio interoperability gateways. But those gateway products are way beyond what you would even consider spending on what your looking for.

Jim
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

Are you wanting to connect them as back-to-back repeaters? What comes in VHF, goes out VHF and UHF, and what comes in UHF, goes out UHF and VHF?

I've done similar with a Quantar and a Mastr 3, using the wildcard tables on the Quantar and COR signal on the M3; and just tie the wirelines across to each other. Worked slick while we waited for that dept. to get its act together & buy new radios all on UHF.

Just took a little playing around with wireline levels, initial levels weren't too too bad.
Last edited by kb4mdz on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomsttsa
New User

Post by tomsttsa »

The VHF is our club repeater, linked on UHF to 2 others. I had thought that TTRC could provide remote control to disable either the UHF link or the VHf repeater should it need it. Actually, if the above scheme worked well, as a standalone arrangement with ID'er and all, then cat1000 could be linked to the system via a UHF link transceiver. Then the weather radio and the voice recorder could be local with echolink also remote connected to a port on the cat1000. Up here in Canada, access to repeater sites can be troublesome in the winter. ...anyway, just experimenting and trying to think outside the box,,,73 Tom

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”