Micor repeater model B84RCB3106AT questions

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lnytns456
What radios do you own?: Micor 250w repeater

Micor repeater model B84RCB3106AT questions

Post by lnytns456 »

I have acquired a Motorola repeater from a local ham here and I am trying to connect an ID circuit To it but it does not transmit the tone frequency when the ID circuit transmits, is there any way to make the tone stay on constant when the ider transmits??? The model number is a Micor repeater model B84RCB3106AT and the cards that it has are
Line driver trn5688apr
Station control tln4635b?
Time out timer trn8684b2
F1pl control tln4638a2
Guard tone decoder tln4852a
Squelch gate tln4662a2
F2 control tln4665a1
Multi pl decoder tln5745a
Multi pl encoder tln5744a1
.... it's a big sominumgun
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.
"In the Strictest Scientific sense, We all feed on Death...Even Vegetarians"....Spock..The Corbomite Maneuver

Satelite

Re: Micor repeater model B84RCB3106AT questions

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Just a mention.
I myself a ham operator with base station monitoring the repeater constantly for conversation with the members wouldn't like the station cw ider transmitted with pl tone.
Id prefer the id went tx carrier so my base wouldn't chime in every time the repeater id was sent.
If the repeaters sending id with out pl tone but with a valid voice input id say hey you gotter working perfectly.
But that's just my opinion and yours may differ and I respect that.
Been a few years since I repaired a micor but I do have a micor manual for uhf that id part with for a small fee.
Satelite
lnytns456

Post by lnytns456 »

How much of a small fee, and do you use PayPal.... hihi
The manual that I would need is 6881039e55 (I believe) for the 450-470MHz 250w model
"In the Strictest Scientific sense, We all feed on Death...Even Vegetarians"....Spock..The Corbomite Maneuver

d119

Post by d119 »

This really belongs in the infrastructure forum. I miss being able to move posts around.

It should be as simple as hanging your ID circuit off the PTT line and running the audio output of the identifier into the audio input of the MICOR repeater. Those leads should be available on the back side of the MICOR repeater chassis' Squelch Gate card.

Take a look at this link for all the information you'd ever want on interfacing anything to the MICOR repeater: http://www.micor.info
Last edited by d119 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Most Motorola base/repeater stations do NOT transmit PL/DPL when doing a CW ID, at least if it's being generated by the internal logic or controller. It's designed that way on purpose. You will need to connect an external CW ID differently if you want the PL/DPL to be transmitted when the CW ID fires. On the Micor, you may only need a diode or two to activate the PL/DPL during CW ID. Many useful Micor manuals ARE available on-line; you just have to go looking around to find them.

Bob M.
lnytns456

Post by lnytns456 »

I have an id-o-matic ii connected to the repeater on one of the audio connections and was wanting to use it to its full potential (cw id, roger beep, audio pass through, etc...) but from what I've been reading, that's apparently not going to be the case with this particular repeater
I think I have done pretty good so far with it, I purchased a set of crystals for it, put them into the channel elements, installed the elements, tuned up the receiver, transmitter, and BpBr duplexers, and currently have it on the air in the GMRS radio service..... I'm definitely not an "appliance operator" as the hams would call it.... I do tend to work on my stuff most of the time (unless it's a major repair job) and I absolutely love it when I actually fix something...

Chuck.

kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Don't give up so quickly. The MICOR seems overly complicated at times but you can force it to do what YOU want by making modifications to the backplane and plug-in cards. Lots of people are running MICORs with CW ID that comes out with PL/DPL. There are multiple audio inputs and multiple PTT inputs; you just have to find a pair that does what YOU want, not what the Motorola engineers thought their commercial customers wanted.

There's nothing special or unique about the ID-O-Matic, as compared to most other repeater controllers. They all have basically the same inputs and outputs. You just have to make the MICOR look like two separate and independent pieces: a receiver with audio and COR outputs and a transmitter with audio and PTT inputs.

Bob M.
d119

Post by d119 »

Agreed - you can make this do exactly what you want with a little patience and research. Take your time and work through it, you'll figure it out. The MICOR is one of the most versatile stations out there with easy access to all of the necessary signals, like Bob said, you just need to find the right ones.

Keep working on it. If you aren't an appliance operator, you'll figure this out. We're here to help as much as we can, but you do need to do the basic research with the tools we've provided you with.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I thought I would pass along a comment about the Micor TX audio. Many years back I was involved with a Micor repeater up in New Hampshire. The pass through audio was sounding kind of tinny compared with the input audio. We found that the TX audio coupling caps in the exciter were something like 0.1 uf caps. Changed them to 1.0 uf caps and the TX audio then sounded the same as the input.

Some people like the tinny sound. I like to have the input sound like the output. So it's just a matter of choice.

Jim
lnytns456

Post by lnytns456 »

Thank you for that info, I'll look at the caps, I actually had to replace a couple caps in the receiver side because of a bad transistor in the power supply.....
I think the caps have already been changed because it doesn't sound tinny....
Jim202 wrote:I thought I would pass along a comment about the Micor TX audio. Many years back I was involved with a Micor repeater up in New Hampshire. The pass through audio was sounding kind of tinny compared with the input audio. We found that the TX audio coupling caps in the exciter were something like 0.1 uf caps. Changed them to 1.0 uf caps and the TX audio then sounded the same as the input.

Some people like the tinny sound. I like to have the input sound like the output. So it's just a matter of choice.

Jim

Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

On a Micor station asserting PTT usually does not activate the PL encoder. Since you have a community repeater style station, this is especially true as the one of four PL decoders needs to respond to select the correct corresponding PL encode reed. If you only need one PL then you'll have strap a single reed to be active all the time to have an external PTT with transmit tone also. There are probably other ways to "fool" the station into activating the encode reed.

The manual you need is the 68P81106E30-? and can be found at repeater builder.
Lots and lots of watts...
d119

Post by d119 »

I don't think it was a community repeater, else why would the F!/PL, F2 control and guard tone modules be in it? Sounds like it was some sort of base station originally and converted to a repeater (RCB vs. RTB).
lnytns456

Post by lnytns456 »

It was a two frequency repeater for Verizon, and they decommissioned it and sold it to a local ham radio operator who was originally going to turn it into a 440mhz ham repeater, but his work schedule changed and he didn't have the time anymore to convert it..... I purchased it from him for $200 as it sat, unknowing of its working condition.... I had two channel element crystals made (rx/tx), put them in and tuned it up as best as I could.... I'm currently using it as a GMRS repeater at my house with the antennas up only about 35-40 feet off the ground....
I have a photocopied version of the manual, but I'm not sure if it's complete or even 100% organized properly, but that's what I used to get the repeater on the air.... and it's working great so far

Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

d119 wrote:I don't think it was a community repeater, else why would the F!/PL, F2 control and guard tone modules be in it? Sounds like it was some sort of base station originally and converted to a repeater (RCB vs. RTB).
Yes, but it also has the multi PL encode and decode cards. I will agree that is an odd mix.
Lots and lots of watts...
d119

Post by d119 »

Very good. Well I would definitely not be using the Community Repeater manuals on it, as the backplane would be completely different. My guess would be as different channels are selected, different tones are encoded/decoded.

For repeater service, you only need F1, so you should be good there. I would be looking at the Squelch Gate card for a PTT signal that keys the repeater with PL.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Sometimes a local microphone will key the station and include PL/DPL along with it, whereas an XMIT button or slide switch may only key the station with no modulation at all. If there's a PL/DPL encode board in the control tray then the output of that should be checked to verify that it's putting out a signal when the station is keyed. If not, find out where the enable signal went. If so, trace the audio path as that should go to the modulator without much intervention.

Bob M.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”