Oddball Quantars ?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

Oddball Quantars ?

Post by fineshot1 »

My question is in respect to the North American Region.
Anyone know of any oddball quantars? For instance a
220Mhz quantar for the NA region would be an oddball.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Karl NVW

Re: Oddball Quantars ?

Post by Karl NVW »

That one did not ever exist for NAmer.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Karl NVW wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:06 pm
That one did not ever exist for NAmer.
Karl - I know that - it was just being used as an example!
fineshot1
NJ USA
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

The only 'oddball' quantars that I am aware of were the data stations.
These were for slow speed data transfer only. I believe they were using them in Ohio for the MDT's in the OSP cars for looking up license plates.
There were a number of them in place when MARCS was still running the 3.5 system.
They all went away with the upgrade to the IV&D system that is GTR based.

So I guess the real question is what do you mean by oddball?
Data Stations were an oddity to me because they were data and unable to pass voice.
Are you worried about picking up something that's unusable?
If so there were some EPIC SCM's that were silumcast only I believe that will not repeat in a stand alone manner
There may have been SCM's that had no internal clock and required the external reference to be present for the station to operate. I know for SURE that was an option in the MSF5000.
Those both would have simulcast, but with the glut of 800 repeaters on ebay,,,, one never knows what they may end up with
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

desperado wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 pm
The only 'oddball' quantars that I am aware of were the data stations.
These were for slow speed data transfer only. I believe they were using them in Ohio for the MDT's in the OSP cars for looking up license plates.
There were a number of them in place when MARCS was still running the 3.5 system.
They all went away with the upgrade to the IV&D system that is GTR based.

So I guess the real question is what do you mean by oddball?
Data Stations were an oddity to me because they were data and unable to pass voice.
Are you worried about picking up something that's unusable?
If so there were some EPIC SCM's that were silumcast only I believe that will not repeat in a stand alone manner
There may have been SCM's that had no internal clock and required the external reference to be present for the station to operate. I know for SURE that was an option in the MSF5000.
Those both would have simulcast, but with the glut of 800 repeaters on ebay,,,, one never knows what they may end up with
Keith - Please reread my original post above - I gave the perfect example of "oddball"
and you ended up your post in this thread answering your own question.
fineshot1
NJ USA
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Well, I was trying to figure out what you meant.
To me none of it was Oddball. But then again I work for an MSS.
Own a number of Quantars and Quantros personally in several frequency ranges.
I dealt with data base stations, simulcast only Epic SCM's and all the rest.
We had 288 quantars in Franklin county alone between the 3 simulcast systems that the City, County and MARCS had.
Then were were the NISPAC (SP?) back to back repeaters, the data station repeaters, the FC engineer data repeaters, the COTA MDT data repeaters and probably another 5 or 10 that were private and federal repeaters.
The vast majority were 800 Mhz, but the federal ones were 403-433 split. I can't remember how many of those there were, but more than 10.
I at one point or another PM'ed every one of the things and repaired a good number of them.
I relocated the 6 sites worth of the MARCS ones and removed the federal ones from service as they were upgraded to GTR-8000 units.
And oddly enough I am about to spin 12 of them back up in an analog simulcast system for the county I live in to replace their VHF analog system built on MTR2000 repeaters.
Bit of useless trivia. A pallet of them with 48 units on a pallet weighs about 2100 pounds. So I can honestly say I have moved over a ton of the things and then some.
So did I answer YOUR question on Oddball Quantars?

And BTW, there was an EPIC 5 SCM that existed as well that had a standard CAT5 Ethernet interface on it that was built to interface Quantars with a current IV&D (7.X) system.
They never gained ground around here as the Quantars that were on MARCS were getting old and starting to have issues. The state decided that instead of just swapping the SCM's they replaced all the Quantars across the state with GTR's.
However I did get to play around with them during training in Chicago when I went out for the Astro25 classes.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
d119

Post by d119 »

desperado wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:27 am
Well, I was trying to figure out what you meant.
To me none of it was Oddball. But then again I work for an MSS.
Own a number of Quantars and Quantros personally in several frequency ranges.
I dealt with data base stations, simulcast only Epic SCM's and all the rest.
We had 288 quantars in Franklin county alone between the 3 simulcast systems that the City, County and MARCS had.
Then were were the NISPAC (SP?) back to back repeaters, the data station repeaters, the FC engineer data repeaters, the COTA MDT data repeaters and probably another 5 or 10 that were private and federal repeaters.
The vast majority were 800 Mhz, but the federal ones were 403-433 split. I can't remember how many of those there were, but more than 10.
I at one point or another PM'ed every one of the things and repaired a good number of them.
I relocated the 6 sites worth of the MARCS ones and removed the federal ones from service as they were upgraded to GTR-8000 units.
And oddly enough I am about to spin 12 of them back up in an analog simulcast system for the county I live in to replace their VHF analog system built on MTR2000 repeaters.
Bit of useless trivia. A pallet of them with 48 units on a pallet weighs about 2100 pounds. So I can honestly say I have moved over a ton of the things and then some.
So did I answer YOUR question on Oddball Quantars?

And BTW, there was an EPIC 5 SCM that existed as well that had a standard CAT5 Ethernet interface on it that was built to interface Quantars with a current IV&D (7.X) system.
They never gained ground around here as the Quantars that were on MARCS were getting old and starting to have issues. The state decided that instead of just swapping the SCM's they replaced all the Quantars across the state with GTR's.
However I did get to play around with them during training in Chicago when I went out for the Astro25 classes.
I know this one is old, but hell, the site is damn slow these days.

The EPIC V cards were used more in the 6.x IV&D systems than 7.x. I worked on one. It used PSC 9600 site controllers and some unholy ancient Sun Microsystems servers.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”