MC2500>Tone Remote>CDM1550 pinout wiring

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eboe

MC2500>Tone Remote>CDM1550 pinout wiring

Post by eboe »

does anybody know the pinout wiring for the connections between the L3276 tone remote and the CDM1550 accessory port on the DDN6338A cable? I have a system in front of me that's currently not hooked up, but the pins that are wired on the accessory connector are pin #'s 1, 4, 5, 9 & 20. I was expecting the tone remote to use CDM pins like 2(or5), 3, 7, 11(or 16), etc. according to the cdm pinout list, here are the pin assignments:

1 - speaker (-)
2 - ext mic audio
3 - digital in 1
4 - digital in 2
5 - flat tx audio in
6 - digital in/out 3
7 - ground
8 - digital in/out 4
9 - analog in 5
10 - ignition sense
11 - flat rx audio
12 - digital in/out 7
13 - switched b+
14 - digital in/out 8
15 - rssi
16 - speaker (+)
17 - bus (+)
18 - boot control
19 - unknown
20 - unknown

1, 4, 5, 9, & 20 are;
speaker (-)
digital in 2
flat tx audio in
analog 5 in
unknown

is that tone remote wired correctly for the cdm1550? btw, none of the pins are enabled in the accessory configuration section of the CPS either. could use a little help from someone familiar with these. thanks.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

EBOE,

Is this Tone Remote L3276 a Console or a TRC Adapter Panel that interfaces to a CDM1550 Mobile Radio Product?

If this L3276 is a TRC Adapter Panel there should be Four (4) wires for Carrier Squelch Operation being:

# 2 Ext Mic Audio (Input)
# 6 PTT Digital in/out 3 (WC Input)
# 7 Ground
# 11 Flat Rx Audio (Output)

TRC Adapter Panel there should be Five (5) wires for Private Line Operation being:

# 2 Ext Mic Audio (Input)
# 6 PTT Digital in/out 3 (WC Input)
# 7 Ground
# 8 Rx PL Disable Digital in/out 4 (WC Input)
# 11 Flat Rx Audio (Output)

In the Mobiles RSS / CPS, you will need to Script the Mobile's Wild Card WC Input # 3 as a PTT Function Active Low and Input # 4 as the Rx PL Disable Function Active Low.

I'm a bit surprised /\/\ did not supply any documentation on the DDN6338A Cable Kit and the L3276 for interfacing between units.

Dan
eboe

Post by eboe »

it's the L3276 junction box that interfaces between the MC2500 and the CDM1550. Moto gave me a 'quick connect guide' for the MC series showing basic cabling and another 'quick connect guide' for the L3276 that gives the pinout diagram and list. forgive me for a lengthy list, but the DB-25 on the back of the tone adapter according to the guide is as follows:

1 - channel steer 3 (k7 normally open)
2 - carrier pl/dpl in
3 - radio rx+
4 - gnd
5 - channel steer 2 (k5 normally open)
6 - PTT (k1 normally open)
7 - monitor (k4 normally open)
8 - channel steer 1 (k3 normally open)
9 - channel steer 4 (k2 normally open)
10 - carrier in
11 - radio rx-
12 - radio tx
13 - no connection
14 - monitor common (k4)* (s8 in)
15 - channel steer 0 (k6 normally open)
16 - channel steer 3 (k7 normally closed)
17 - channel steer 2 (k5 normally closed)
18 - channel steer 1 (k3 normally closed)
19 - channel steer 0 (k6 normally closed)
20 - channel steer 4 (k2 normally closed)
21 - ptt (k1 normally closed)
22 - ptt common (k1)* (s5 in)
23 - monitor (k4 normally closed)
24 - k2 common* (s6a in)
25 - relay common* (s7b in)

[*connected internally within remote adapter]

...just trying to determine which pins from this db-25 go to which pins on the cdm's accy connector.

as for the cdm side... i assume by "input #3" and "input #4" you mean pins 6 & 8. i didn't see a "rx pl disable" option in the function selections. there was a "tx pl inhibit (input)", but nothing like that for rx. there was a "toc disable (input)", but i don't know what that one is. could it be the "mic off hook (input)" selection?

we use DPL so if i understood you correctly, i'll be using pins 2, 6, 7, 8 and 11 on the accy connector. just need to know which pins they mate up to on the db-25 at the junction box.

something like this???

'cdm accy' -> 'juntion db25'
pin 2 -> pin 12
pin 6 -> pin 6
pin 7 -> pin 4
pin 8 -> pin ???
pin 11 -> pin 3

am i close?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The basic pin-out would be as follows:

Code: Select all

DB25                                      CDM

1 - channel steer 3 (k7 normally open) 
2 - carrier pl/dpl in---------------------------------pin 8
3 - radio rx+---------------------------------------pin 11
4 - gnd----------------------------------------------pin 7
5 - channel steer 2 (k5 normally open)
6 - PTT (k1 normally open)-----------------------pin 3
7 - monitor (k4 normally open)
8 - channel steer 1 (k3 normally open)
9 - channel steer 4 (k2 normally open)
10 - carrier in
11 - radio rx-  ------------------------------------pin 7
12 - radio tx---------------------------------------pin 2
13 - no connection
14 - monitor common (k4)* (s8 in)
15 - channel steer 0 (k6 normally open)
16 - channel steer 3 (k7 normally closed)
17 - channel steer 2 (k5 normally closed)
18 - channel steer 1 (k3 normally closed)
19 - channel steer 0 (k6 normally closed)
20 - channel steer 4 (k2 normally closed)
21 - ptt (k1 normally closed)
22 - ptt common (k1)* (s5 in)-------------------pin 7
23 - monitor (k4 normally closed)
24 - k2 common* (s6a in)
25 - relay common* (s7b in) 
Which is basically the way you were thinking in your first post.

In the CPS, set pin 3 for "external mic ptt", active low. Set pin 8 for "PL & CSQ Detect", output low. Under "accessory configuration", set "RX audio type" to "Filtered Audio".

This is assuming you're not hooking it up for channel steering or monitoring.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
eboe

Post by eboe »

ok, i think i have everything wired up correctly, but the deskset will not key the radio. the radio keys up from it's own front-panel microphone. the radio will also key up if using a deskmic through the front panel of the remote adapter, but not when using the deskset. the deskset has power. i checked the continuity of the cable from the rs-232 port to the line input on the tone remote adapter. the red led's light up on the deskset when pushing any of the x-mit buttons, but nothing makes it to the radio. i'm thinking i don't have something configured correctly in the 'programming' of the deskset or maybe the dip switches on the tone adapter. help!? lol
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The fact the radio keys up when the mic is used in the tone remote adaptor tells me your adaptor-to-radio wiring is correct (at least as far as the PTT wire, anyway).

Does the PTT light on the tone remote adaptor light up when the MC2500 is keyed?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

eboe

Post by eboe »

yup. all the lights on the tone adapter seem to work fine. the ptt light will light up when using either the radio's mic or the deskmic port on the tone adapter. similarly, the lights on the deskset are working fine too. the deskset led's will light when you press any of the PTT buttons, but the tone remote sits idle. so i agree, the wiring from the deskset to the tone adapter is at fault. do you have the proper pinout wiring from the audio/acc connector to the tone adapter?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ah, re-reading your post, I see you're trying to connect the remote's "rs-232" port to the adaptors rj-11 port. This is not correct. The rs-232 port is used for programming, and for hooking to a serial printer or a computer running hyperterminal so you can view all incoming/outgoing transmissions, aliases, etc.

Did you not receive the MC2500 Operator & Installation manual with the remote? They should all come with one.

You need to use the DB-25 port on the remote. In particular, pins 11 & 24 are the line 1 TX/RX pins to use for 2-wire configuration (TX only if 4-wire config is used), and Pins 12 & 25 are the line 1 RX pins if using 4-wire configuration.

I have attached a table to help you.

eboe

Post by eboe »

yes, that's what i needed to know! thank you
911-EMT

Post by 911-EMT »

Hi I have the rvn4178a rss for the Mc Series, but not the programming cable, could anyone help me with the pinout for the programming cable.
eboe

Post by eboe »

911, if you still need to know by thursday (when i get back to the office) i'll trace the cable i have.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

911-EMT wrote:Hi I have the rvn4178a rss for the Mc Series, but not the programming cable, could anyone help me with the pinout for the programming cable.
Here's some pics to help you out:

Todd

ffexpCP

Re: MC2500>Tone Remote>CDM1550 pinout wiring

Post by ffexpCP »

Can anyone repost the pinout pictures if they have them? The pic links no longer work.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ffexpCP wrote:Can anyone repost the pinout pictures if they have them? The pic links no longer work.

Check your email.

Jim
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

I finally got my MOL account activated. I was able to get a copy of the manual there. Thanks for the assistance.
doall108
New User

Re:

Post by doall108 »

wavetar wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:54 am
Ah, re-reading your post, I see you're trying to connect the remote's "rs-232" port to the adaptors rj-11 port. This is not correct. The rs-232 port is used for programming, and for hooking to a serial printer or a computer running hyperterminal so you can view all incoming/outgoing transmissions, aliases, etc.

Did you not receive the MC2500 Operator & Installation manual with the remote? They should all come with one.

You need to use the DB-25 port on the remote. In particular, pins 11 & 24 are the line 1 TX/RX pins to use for 2-wire configuration (TX only if 4-wire config is used), and Pins 12 & 25 are the line 1 RX pins if using 4-wire configuration.

I have attached a table to help you.

Dues anyone have the pinout for the MC2500 DB25 Connector?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”