XPR7550 antenna - stubby with plastic ring ??

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

XPR7550 antenna - stubby with plastic ring ??

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Anybody know what the difference is between an XPR7550 stubby antenna with the different color plastic "ring" and the one with no ring?

Thanks
rainbowpenguin
New User

Re: XPR7550 antenna - stubby with plastic ring ??

Post by rainbowpenguin »

Nothing. The plastic ring is an accessory.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/conte ... tsheet.pdf

last page, bottom right corner - part numbers for the colored rings
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Anybody know what the difference is between an XPR7550 stubby antenna with the different color plastic "ring" and the one with no ring?

Thanks

I don't want to change the subject of the thread here, but unless your near the repeater or base station, the stubby antennas are not much more than a wet noodle for coverage. If your looking for performance, put a full size antenna on the radio.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

OK thanks.

I was thinking that the color ring indicated a GPS antenna..but its just to provide a way to differentiate radios!!

My VHF XPR7550 came with no antenna - so I will definitely be buying the "long" version. From what I can gather, there are 3 different band segment VHF antennas - I can't find a VHF "wideband" antenna like I use with my MTS2000....I think this is best VHF antenna I have used!!

Is the GPS option just a software update or does it involve a hardware option? I'm wondering what to do with the GPS feature..maybe APRS?
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

All XPR7550s have GPS included and their antenna is internal unlike the previous series where you had to make sure you were using the right antenna. Right now, the GPS feature only works on digital channels but is simple to set up in CPS (just a checkbox and some other parameters). Not sure what all can be done with it without using one of the available third party GPS gateways and some other infrastructure to actually utilize useful tracking.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”