Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firecomm
was Fire4117

Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Post by firecomm »

I'd like to try building my own USB cable to program my Min 5 and I'm wondering if it's a simple USB cable with an RJ-11 on the end or is there more to it? If it's a simple one, does someone have a pinout for building one?

I've seen them on ebay but wanted to try my hand at building one instead of putting out the $$. I have the UPI already, it's just a PITA to use it all and would like to ditch it for a simple cable.

Thanks all.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Post by SteveC0625 »

firecomm wrote:I'd like to try building my own USB cable to program my Min 5 and I'm wondering if it's a simple USB cable with an RJ-11 on the end or is there more to it? If it's a simple one, does someone have a pinout for building one?

I've seen them on ebay but wanted to try my hand at building one instead of putting out the $$. I have the UPI already, it's just a PITA to use it all and would like to ditch it for a simple cable.

Thanks all.
Nope, you can't just use a USB cable. It has to contain a circuit and chip that converts USB to TTL. A tiny bit of internet searching yields all the info you could hope to find about this. It is incredibly well documented at this point in time.

This link should tell you everything you need to know. http://forums.radioreference.com/motoro ... rogramming
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Thank ya sir!
Elkland1
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Baofeng,TYT

Post by Elkland1 »

I've taken a programming cable for a baofeng radio, chopped the end off, separated the wires, put them in the right contacts on the pager, and successfully programmed it multiple times. Not bad for $5.
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Cool.

Any specific baofeng cable or are they all the same? I'm not too familiar with baofeng.
Elkland1 wrote:I've taken a programming cable for a baofeng radio, chopped the end off, separated the wires, put them in the right contacts on the pager, and successfully programmed it multiple times. Not bad for $5.
Elkland1
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Baofeng,TYT

Post by Elkland1 »

I use the standard cheapo one. Only issue is making sure the drivers are right on the computer. The 20 dollar ftdi i think it is, requires no messing with drivers. It's plug and play
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Elkland1 wrote:I use the standard cheapo one. Only issue is making sure the drivers are right on the computer. The 20 dollar ftdi i think it is, requires no messing with drivers. It's plug and play
Awesome! Thanks!

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”