Advisor pager programming help

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

koerner

Advisor pager programming help

Post by koerner »

Hello all,

I have the programming interface, and a hacked Motorola Bravo cradle, that's connected to an Advisor pager.
Whenever i connect the pager (which powers up) and try to read - It resets Itself, and the software reads :"invalid or incorrect data is being receieved"...

Any help will be welcomed

Thanks

Koerner
ericdog
Batboard $upporter

Post by ericdog »

Hi koerner,

I have successfully made a system to program the advisor pagers.

The circuitry I used is the simpler UPI with the MAX232 serial chip and LM339 comparator. I noticed that the pin connections shown for the 3 contacts to the pager are wrong. The ground pin is the one closest to the edge.

I took an advisor cradle and drilled 3 holes where the pagers contact holes are. I then took the moving contact finger part of a 4 pole relay, soldered a gold plated pc pin (10mm long) to 3 of the contacts. This was then super glued to the advisor cradle so that the relay contact fingers will provide spring tension keeping the gold plated pc pins in contact with the pads on the pager. I can provide a picture if you need.

Be aware that some motorola dos based RSS programs dont run properly under windows (especially later versions). Sometimes you need to run them from dos.

I see you mentioned the bravo's, I thought they were different to the advisor ??

Double check the connections from the UPI to the pager. I found the ones listed on the simpler UPI diagram were wrong.
koerner

Post by koerner »

Thanks for the reply - I have the interface, and I did try it with a 386 computer under Dos, and it still reads the same.
Is there something that needs to be done with the computer settings maybe that im missing?
any help will be welcomed....

Koerner
RBMTS

Post by RBMTS »

If you are using a Motorola UPI, is the red LED illuminating to indicate that the circuit is making the proper connection with the pager? I have seen people make their own connection cables and inadvertantly switch TX and RX and never realize it. Also, since you are using a hacked Bravo cradle, make sure that the pager is not losing a connection at any time while reading the pager.

Do you only have 1 Advisor? Hopefully you have others so that you can make sure that it's not the pager in some way.

I don't think it's your computer. I have run the program on a 286 up to a Pentium 233MMX (in DOS only) with no problems.
koerner

Post by koerner »

I do have the original Motorola UPI and the LED does turn on when I connect the pager, and the software (both the 6&7 v) says the same - after that the pager resets itself and thats it...

ive tried switching the wires, but it didnt even power up the pager...
any ideas??
RBMTS

Post by RBMTS »

Try switching to a different type of serial cable. Try to use a shielded cable with DB25 connectors. I just had the same thing happen to me. Somehow I had connected the UPI to a non-shielded 9pin serial cable with adapters to DB25 (I just wasn't paying attention). Sure enough, I got the problem you describe. I switched back to my regular DB25 shielded cable and it worked like a champ. Maybe that is your problem.
koerner

Post by koerner »

I have tried a different cable,3 different pagers and even 2 other computers....
The pager just reset each time, with no further action... :-?
EKLB
Gone...as per his request

Post by EKLB »

Does the Advisor pager use the same programming cradle as the Keynote pagers used ?

Thanx EKLB
nypd

Post by nypd »

no it doesnt use the same cradle..

but to me..it sounds like the decoder board...has liquid damage ....
koerner

Post by koerner »

I tried a different pager, but it still wont read the pager - and i know the pager works - its mine...
Any ideas will be welcomed...
Again - the pager lights up from the cradle,resets itself after every attempt to read it - and the computer reads - an error....
Please help....
EMS Geek

Post by EMS Geek »

Hi,
I had the same problems in the past and it was due to using the wrong software. I was working with an Advisor Gold.

If I recall correctly, there were several differant applications, something like Advisor, Advisor Gold, Advisor POCSAG, Advisor Flex, etc.

The Advisor pager I had had a serial number that started with 584... and the software was labeled PF584.

Hope it helps, Eric
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Suprised the Pager Geek hasn't spoken...must be on vacation.

I have four Advisors that I don't know the programming password to. I will give someone two of them if they can crack the password. All should have the same password.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

First time I've read this one....

koerner: Still having problems reading and writing?

Chipjumper: Still need the passwords read? Depending on the pager type, you can read them yourself with a jumper...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

TPG, I thought you said before that I had to short a pin; tried it and it didn't work.

I might need a more in depth walkthru; this is in regards to Advisor Elite's. Do I short those pins for good and re-assemble, power up, try to program?

e
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

For the advisor elites:
If you JUST need the OTA and Secure passwords (IE: you can read the pager, but just can't program it) you can extract the passwords from the saved codeplug.

If you need to get around the download password, the only known ways are to either replace the main micro OR unsolder the main micro from the board, open the connection from pin 11 to it's solder pad, resolder the prom back to the board without pin 11 making any connections. Then put the battery in backwards to do a reset.

After that, reverse the process to reconnect pin 11. After you get everything back together again, you should see:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

on the lower portion of the display.

You have blanked the pager and it is "unprogrammed." Reprogram it for whatever.

YOU WILL LOOSE ALL INFO IN THE PAGER.

The only other rumor I heard was to find the trace on the micro that goes from the processor around to the grid array pin 11 and cut it. Then resolder it after the battery thing. Damned if I can see that good reliably.

Hope that helps.. a little.

tpg
koerner

Post by koerner »

Hi Pager Geek...
In answer to your question - yes, I am still having trouble with the pager programming...
Any ideas will be welcomed!
Thanks
Koerner
The Pager Geek

Post by The Pager Geek »

Can you read and write any pagers with your pager interface?

Sounds like the hacked bravo cradle may be the issue. Wrong pins or intermitant connection....

What pins do you have going to the pager? I'll ohm out an Advisor cradle to make sure the pins are going to the right spots for you (I think this is your problem short of using the wrong software..)

What version Advidor Software are you using?

tpg
firemedic4

pager

Post by firemedic4 »

ANYONE KNOW A GOOD PLACE TO BUY REFIB ADVISOR GOLDS ON VHF BAND ? PM OR EMAIL ME
eagle844

Re: Advisor pager programming help

Post by eagle844 »

Could anyone please tell me where to get some info on making/finding a programming cable? I can make something for the pager to sit in like a cradle. I saw a page about a vx8 radio cable but cannot find any other info on how to wire or a success. Any help would be great.

Thank you
d119

Post by d119 »

Next time, please pay attention to the age of the posts you're replying to... Last post in that thread before yours was a DECADE ago... Might want to try starting a new topic (in the appropriate forum) with your question.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I didn't think eagle844 was out of reason with posting on the 10 year old post.
I have seen more than once a member ask a question for what others said you should do a search before asking rather than look for the easy way out.
He obviously did a search if he came up with a 10 year old post.
Wasn't like he posted an answer to a 10 year old post already forgotten but rather he asked for help in a 10 year old post in hopes hed get help since it did talk about building one which was in his line of questioning.
Never know -- he might even get the answer from this very 10 year old post due to one of them coming forward even though 10 years went by.
After all people have been known to win the lottery playing 10 years or more .
He couldn't place it in the so called proper forum by posting to this older post as there probably wasn't a forum dedicated to it back then and if there was he didn't post it wrong the op 10 years back did that.
I realalize its been years and id bet he did too but even if he didn't and got a helping reply rather than a hey you are in a 10 year old post it did what he wanted and gave it a try.
So if the search isn't good for replying to older posts then maybe you should just delete older posts and further reduce the bds effectiveness while your at it.
If your going to talk to him like that then ill post my opinion in his defense.
Satelite
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I'm not going to get into the pros & cons of resurrecting a 10 year old thread. We now have a pager specific forum, where the question can be asked anew & is more likely to be answered by the members who frequent that forum. So eagle844, please post your question in that forum. Thanks!

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”