Advisor Elite programming issue

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Victor Xray

Advisor Elite programming issue

Post by Victor Xray »

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I have two different Advisor Elites, both of which can be read successfully; however, when I attempt to program them, I get the following:

The progress indicator moves completely from left to right, just as normal, then a few seconds later I get

Then the pager resets and it maintains its old programming.

All the other Advisor Elites I have program normally; it's just these two that exhibit this same problem. Any suggestions?
Victor Xray

Re: Advisor Elite programming issue

Post by Victor Xray »

Bumping for a little more views before I abandon hope and take a hammer to these things.
GEMOTO

Post by GEMOTO »

Try rebooting the computer, re-installing software, changing pager batteries, resetting pager RIB power, using a different COM port, make sure there are no invalid opations in the codeplug, make sure serial number in CPS is correct... Just a few things to try, in case you had not thought of them.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

All of those things covered, thanks though.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Are you running it in windows?

Also, what's the firmware of the pagers in question?
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Yes to Windows. Not sure of the FW version, how can I find that?
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Victor Xray wrote:Yes to Windows. Not sure of the FW version, how can I find that?
If you put the pager in test mode, it will display it for you. However, I think your problem is with windows. It's always been hit or miss doing DOS pagers thru windows. 99% it works, but if there is a lot of info to send, the pager does exactly as you describe. If it's an early version of FW in the pager, it's probably pissed off at the way windows is sending the info to it.

Stick with a DOS machine, or in my case for programming, a dual boot win98 / Win xp so I can go into "Safe DOS Prompt" mode in 98.

Good luck,
tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Thanks for the suggestion TPG, but it didn't work. I received the same error at the same point when running on a DOS machine as I did in Windows. And even if the pager has a low FW version, it should still accept it's own codeplug (read then immediately write back) right?

*taps hammer in hand*
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Could it be as simple as the version of programming software? I know sometimes radio RSS will allow a read, but then give a "model number not supported" or similar error when you try to write. The EX600 using CPS version 6.00.00 comes to mind. In short, do you have the latest Advisor Elite software?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Valid question, but yes, it's the newest or at least, newer. R02.09.09 Oct'06.
Victor Xray

Resolved: Advisor Elite programming issue

Post by Victor Xray »

This problem has been resolved, thanks to batboard member derekjmu. Here's the answer in case anyone else come across this problem.

In their infinite wisdom, Motorola has released two versions of Advisor Elite pagers. Although they look and function identically, they use different software. The two AE software packages are called PF56AFLX and PF169FLX. Both programs can read any AE; however, only one program will be able to write to an AE without immediately reporting "ERROR: Pager Not Programmed". So if you get this error during the write process with one program, try the other.
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

Excellent post. This is reason # 1,598,733 to buy Apollo pagers.
Analog already is interoperable.

EMS Geek

Post by EMS Geek »

I had the same problem, switched over to PF56AFLX PPS and all is good.
These pagers had serial numbers that began with 56A.... or A....
nomoclutch
New User

Post by nomoclutch »

I have a couple of Advisor Elite (?) pagers that don't say Motorola on the case, I thought they were unication pagers, but they have the blue-glow backlight and can be read in the "M" 169flx -or- unication elite software ("M" 56flx can't read it) and seem to have Motorola serial numbers. I've tried programming the same plug right back in as well as using other plugs that I know work in other elites, but I also get this "error: pager not programmed" message.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can tell which brand they are and what the right PPS is???

The software versions I'm trying are:

PF169FLX - R02.09.09M (2006/06/13) <-- "M"
PF56AFLX - R01.02.00 (Jan 16, 1998) <-- "M"
PF56A2FLX - R02.09.08 (2006/06/19) <-- Unication

On one try I got a message - something like the pager had been programmed with a newer PPS (R030000), but I can't replicate that message.
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

If the backlight is blue and not green, it is most likely an Elite and should read/write with PF56AFLX.

Have you ever used your interface successfully on other pagers?
goblue

Post by goblue »

PF169FLX is for the Motorola Advisor II, it is not for use with the Motorola Advisor Elite. The Advisor II and Advisor Elite are completely different model pagers.

PF56AFLX is for the Motorola Advisor Elite, and only for the Motorola Advisor Elite.

The Motorola Advisor II is manufactured by Unication. All software updates can be found at the Unication web site for free as Motorola hasn't updated the software in over 4 years. The Motorola Advisor II {FLEX} and the Unication Elite are the same pager with different housings/cases.
Same goes for the Motorola Advisor II {Pocsag} and the Unication Gold, same pager, different housing/case.

Both paging protocols for the Motorola Advisor II, FLEX and POCSAG can use the Unication Elite {FLEX} and Unication Gold {POCSAG} software. Both are free on the Unication web site.

PF584 is software for the Motorola Advisor Gold, it can't be used to program the Unication Gold, and you can't program a Motorola Advisor Gold using the Unication Gold software.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”