LED lights and RF interference??

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hfrdust
New User

LED lights and RF interference??

Post by hfrdust »

Has anyone had issues with their mobile radios after installing LED lighting? I have rear 3 head LED lights and a directional LED light bar in the rear window of a pickup. When I turn on either of the LED lights or the directional bar I cant hear our dispatch or they are so scratchy I cant understand them?
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Re: LED lights and RF interference??

Post by KB2ZTX »

Need alot more info than this.

What kind of radio, band, frequencies, antenna location, mount, power...
KB2ZTX
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yep. It's the switching power supplies for the LEDS throwing off cacapoopoo. You could try doing a better job with the wiring, grounding, filtering the power, etc AFTER (emphasis on AFTER) you have determined the noise is not being radiated. They can do it both ways - trash the power line, and trash the air. You have to do some careful troubleshooting, and you may have to get rid of the lights.
Will

Post by Will »

KB2ZTX wrote:Need alot more info than this.

What kind of radio, band, frequencies, antenna location, mount, power...
AND what kind/brand/model "LED's" and their power supply.

Good power wiring practices are learned in Alternator Whine 102, AND BSP.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have found Federal Signal LED's to produce near zero interference.

Whelen are considerably worse. Tomar are terrible. Knockoffs are generally poor.
WA3VJB

Post by WA3VJB »

I had a self-contained visor LED amber/wht pair, cheapie off Amazon, that was quite noisy on VHF.
No control box, just a button on the back to step through on/off & flash type.

I wrapped the housing in self-adhesive aluminum tape used for sealing HVAC ducting, and it cut the noise to a tolerable level. I was surprised at the effective impact, since the front facing light output remained uncovered, but without knowing how the circuit board was situated inside the housing I must have lucked out.

The thing crapped out soon after and was discarded, but the noise suppression technique might be helpful to others.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”