What do i need to get and install TIR3's in my car's grill?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firefighter27

What do i need to get and install TIR3's in my car's grill?

Post by firefighter27 »

Hi. I want to install two Whelen TIR3's in the grill of my '97 lexus ES300. I have NO idea what to do or what to buy. I THINK i need the two lightheads, a switch, and two L-brackets. Do i need anything else (fuse, wiring, etc...)? Then when i get everything, I have NO idea how to install it! ANY help at all would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!!!!!

-I want it to look like this!!!:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Probably need a mounting bracket..
http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa/RBKT1.html
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

find someone to install them for you. LEDs and a lexes. you have the money to hire someone to do it right. for you
firefighter27

Post by firefighter27 »

actually i dont. i saved 4 years for the lexus and bought it used a few weeks ago. i want to install the TIR3s myself. All i need to know is this: I need 2 TIR3's, a switch, 2 L-brackets, and what else? Do i need a fuse? wires? etc... Any help is greatly appriciated!!!
keeper1616

Re: What do i need to get and install TIR3's in my car's gri

Post by keeper1616 »

firefighter27 wrote:-I want it to look like this!!!:
Then I would suggest gettting rid of the Lexus and getting a mustang :lol:
~~~~Cyrus~~~~
firefighter27

Post by firefighter27 »

haha very funny. its the only picture i could find.
Cheeko

Post by Cheeko »

Hi Firefighter

First of all I would echo what another guy has said get someone to do it for you, from the sounds of it I get the impression that you dont have much experiecne in fitting electrical kit into cars, forgive me if im wrong its just the way it comes over.

Im not that familer with the lexus so for the bracket I would look yourself and see what you think you seem to have an idea on that front on what you need.

Yes you need 2 lightheads and you will need to run a power cable from the battery or 12v pickup point into a fuse as close as possible to the 12v feed, that goes into the switch normaly marked supply, then you have the load this is the lights themselves then you need an earth on the switch if its an illuminated one.

On the light head end you can split the feed to the lights into 2 one for each light then ground each light out.

Dont forget to put the sync wires together on the lightheads.

The instructions with the TIR3's were easy enough to follow last time I read them though its been a while since I done TIRs be doing alot of shome microlights lately

If you need any more advice hollar sure somone can help you out.

Paul
comm2

Post by comm2 »

Nothing personal, but with some of the questions your asking, you may want to take it to a professional and have it done. That's probably not the easiest car to work on, beginner or pro.[/quote]
paramedic218

Post by paramedic218 »

that was my point not with the questions that your asking it does not look like you have done alot of installs. a lexus in no the car that you want to start on. like you said you saved for years to ger the car i would hate to see you mess up you dream car. one wrong cross of wires and the computer in the lexus is fried. get a pro to do it
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I will disagree, a car is a car, no matter what make it is, some are just a little more expensive than others.

While I have never done an install in a Lexus, I am sure it cannot be much more difficult than some of the other cars out there, Camaro's, Mustangs both have very limited space to work with, yet we still do work on them.

I would suggest reading the instructions that come with the LED's, look at what the manufacturer has for brackets, look at the car and plan out where you want to mount the equipment.

You can download a PDF of the instructions off Whelen's website, so you can see firsthand how difficult it may or may not be.

Plan your work, then, work your plan.

If you have any questions, ask first, most here will try and steer you in the right direction.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by paramedic218 »

SG

good point. a car is a car. what ever you do just be careful that you dont cross the + and - this could cause a problem with the car computer. just like if you were to jump start some of these newer cars and there is not a good hook up to the battery,

you got to start some where
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

If you are unsure of what to do, it is always best to ask first. Most of the larger equiment makers, Whelen, Code 3, Sound Off, Carson, Federal etc., all have a tech line that you can use if you do run into a problem.

I used to do high end car audio 10K plus systems, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, you name it. You just have to approach it as it is just a car. Just take you time and go slow, finesse not force always works best in applications of the unknown.
SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by ESDA20 »

spectragod wrote: You just have to approach it as it is just a car. Just take you time and go slow, finesse not force always works best in applications of the unknown.
SG
But, if all else fails, hit it with a hammer. If nothing else, its fun as all hell.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

If your a 12 year old maybe.

SG

Post by ESDA20 »

spectragod wrote:If your a 12 year old maybe.

SG
You're.

And yes, even 12 year olds can have fun. ;)

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”