Help needed with Volvo V40 Wig Wag

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cheeko

Help needed with Volvo V40 Wig Wag

Post by Cheeko »

Hi guys

First off Happy New Year to everyone

I have a Volvo V40 that has the dipped beam on as a running light when you turn the ignition on, I need to set the car up with a wig wag system pref with a double flash per side but will take what I can get :-)

The problem I have it that to get high beam its swapping the voltage direction between 2 pins on the bulb normaly one is ground and one poss when you put hi beam on its putting it as poss and then ground

Iv never done a vehicle with DRLS before so not sure how the flashers for them work or if they would be suitable for this vehicle.

I think I could set it up with 2 5 pin switching relays per head to swap the pins from 12 to neg and vice versa but this is a long way of doing and not something I want to do if I can avoid it.

I know I can go with HAW halos in there but would rather go flasher as there a pain to take out but I have them as my plan b at the moment.

Ok guys any help here would be appreciated, new to vehicles with this setup and not sure how to proceed with it.

All the best and good luck for the next 12 months

Paul
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

considering it is not a vehicle that would be run in an emergency vehicle capacity very often, it is very unlikely that anyone will have a plug and play part for it...

..and after a couple of minutes of thinking about it, i think the 2 relay trick WOULD work, however...you also have to consider what that would do to your vehicle PCM, flash-to-pass circut, highbeam on situations,etc.... not to mention, that in order for this to work, you would need a diode in there for the highbeam circut, you would need 4 relays (2 per head), and that many moving pieces in a headlight warning lamp system seems like a little overkill...(not to mention those bosch relays firing at the same rate as the headlight flasher would sound like a drum riff being played on your hood).

eh, it could work...lots of potential issues i can see in it, and maybe not as much benefit for the amount of work it would take.
firegood

Post by firegood »

i would have to agree, relays in rapid operation like that cut down there life. And i dont see any other valid way if switching them. i guess you could use the high beam trigger wire inside the car to make them flash. just like going from low to high beams.
Cheeko

Post by Cheeko »

Hi guys

Thanks for that you basicly came up with the same ideas I was having and the downsides to it, and yeah it would sound like a whole troop banging away under the hood.

I know you guys deal with day running lights alot over there and overe here the V40 & V70 were offered with a special vehicle package that had a bypass system built in for police use but its not available as an aftermarket item from volvo.

Oh well at the moment from the front when I hit the response button I have 2 corner strobes and 2 front halogen on the 52" edge 2 50w 500 series halo grilles that are on a nova multi pattern flasher as I had it here lyeing around 20w I think corner strobes in the front turn signals and 2 TIR6 on the sides of the front bumper

That and a whelen LED dash light I think im pritey covered up front :-) only thing missing is white alt wig wag but hey I suppose I can live without it.

Im thinking im going to have to hold back theres not many places left to put lights and im well past wacker stage lol

Take care and thanks again

Paul
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Whelen halogen "strobe tube" style inserts would work run off their own flasher.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i was gonna also Suggest the Hide a way halogen bulbs. they look good if installed right
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

If you used one 8-pin relay (DPDT) per headlight you could get by with less parts...just set it up with the wires cross connected so that it alternately swaps the wires to the light when the flasher energizes the coil. I was trying to work up an elegant circuit make it work the same as a Federal FH1 but my brain works awfully slow on that sort of thing so it may take a few days. If I remember to do it I will have a solution for you eventually. My brain isn't up to the task right now though

Birken
irsa

Post by irsa »

Have you enquired at Volvo? I think I saw a mention of the S40 in their Police equipment listing. I thought the S40 had a seperate high beam mounted inboard of the main reflector? If so that might be easier to set up as the wig wag, and be more effective since the inner light would be more of a long range design.
wiredwrx
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Re: Help needed with Volvo V40 Wig Wag

Post by wiredwrx »

Cheeko wrote:Hi guys

First off Happy New Year to everyone

I have a Volvo V40 that has the dipped beam on as a running light when you turn the ignition on, I need to set the car up with a wig wag system pref with a double flash per side but will take what I can get :-)

The problem I have it that to get high beam its swapping the voltage direction between 2 pins on the bulb normaly one is ground and one poss when you put hi beam on its putting it as poss and then ground

Iv never done a vehicle with DRLS before so not sure how the flashers for them work or if they would be suitable for this vehicle.

I think I could set it up with 2 5 pin switching relays per head to swap the pins from 12 to neg and vice versa but this is a long way of doing and not something I want to do if I can avoid it.

I know I can go with HAW halos in there but would rather go flasher as there a pain to take out but I have them as my plan b at the moment.

Ok guys any help here would be appreciated, new to vehicles with this setup and not sure how to proceed with it.

All the best and good luck for the next 12 months

Paul
This really shouldn't be a problem.

The only difficult part might be disabling the DRLs if need be. That can be accomplsihed in several ways, though you may have to figure that out yourself. A good place to look is a Volvo specific forum. You may not have to do that though.

Here is a schematic for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”