Tomar Strobes

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Tomar Strobes

Post by willbartlett »

Anyone here have any thoughts on Tomar strobes? I have an opportunity to pick up a quantity of remote strobe heads, just wondering if they have a good reputation?

Thanks, Will
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tomar is the Lexus.. of warning lights. 10 year warranty..

yes, they are good. Being remote.. they are still no brighter than your brightest power supply can push.
n8xfj

tomar

Post by n8xfj »

I do agree with Adam that they are the Lexus of lighting, but when it comes time start purchasing tubes whhheeewww that gets expensive real quick. A friend of mine had that bar on his truck and sold it, because of where it gets used so much, 7 days a week between him and his brother with ems and fire, he got tired of the cost of the strobe tubes and sold it and has a different bar light now. They will go thru alot of tubes if they are used alot. SAme thing with the LED lights being used alot, this is also why i went back to a nice decked out halogen bar.
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

SAme thing with the LED lights being used alot, this is also why i went back to a nice decked out halogen bar.
yeah, but doesnt the cost of alternators equal or surpass the cost of the tubes?? :roll:

i gave up entirely..

edge 9000, great..

snap in turbo tubes in the corners, great..

9-m.......
boooooooo

at least the early edges could be repaired..

i had a 5$ part go on a supply, replaced it, still works...

they wanted 100+ for a new supply...

thus alls potted in epoxy now...they claim it "lengthens life of product due to lack of exposure to elements.."

b.s.
I TURN THE KNOB, THE LIGHT BLINKS AND IT BEEPS.........THATS ALL IT DOES!!!!!!
PLEASE WORK!!!..just once, thats all...
SafetyLighting

Re: tomar

Post by SafetyLighting »

n8xfj wrote:I do agree with Adam that they are the Lexus of lighting, but when it comes time start purchasing tubes whhheeewww that gets expensive real quick. A friend of mine had that bar on his truck and sold it, because of where it gets used so much, 7 days a week between him and his brother with ems and fire, he got tired of the cost of the strobe tubes and sold it and has a different bar light now. They will go thru alot of tubes if they are used alot. SAme thing with the LED lights being used alot, this is also why i went back to a nice decked out halogen bar.
I would like to hear what you mean about the LED lights being used alot. If manufactured and installed properly, LED's will outlast strobes by a huge margin. Did you have a problem with a specific manufacturer?
John
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

well you see, leds like any form of light have a main weakness, heat..

i pulled apart som tir 6 heads, re lined the heat compound with a little more of a high grade paste..

however like i said, heat kills them...

i also pulled the epoxy off of the electronics, that actually seemed to lengthen the life a little as i sprayed the board with an acrylic clearcoat..

the electronics and leds are like the ones we used in the replacement boards for the neon signs, they are bright and last, but still heat killed them...

also, if you use the steady burn units for extended periods of time on steady burn, they dont last as long as the flashing ones...

ill hook up sone new ones sometime and let em run in my basement and see which ones degrade first, but itll take a loooong time.. :cry:
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Ok, I agree that Heat is the enemy. That just enforces the statement that you get what you pay for.
John
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

true, however for the ammount that is paid, there should be some way of focusing on that part, not making a flashy new product..

no pun intended... :-?
n8xfj

Post by n8xfj »

True but you are gonna get your flaws one way or another in just about any type of lighting on the market regardless of the manufac.
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

We had a problem on one of our security trucks. It's less then six months old and we started having some of the LED's in lightbars traffic adviser go out. Code 3 replaced them with no fuss though.
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

whelen has been ok about replacements...

ill be looking into some tomar stuff soon enough, im looking for a few custom items...
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Like what?
John

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”