Strobes and F250XL

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Strobes and F250XL

Post by arlojanis »

I need some tips on installing hide-a-way strobes on a 2006 Ford F250 XL super duty.
"The world runs on radio."
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Drill holes and install? Super Duties are easy... I've done any number of them. Any specific questions?
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Do you put them in tail lights or backup lights? Do you put them in front parking lights or the corner lights on front?
"The world runs on radio."
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

My typical install consists of:
Reverse lights
Brake lights
Front turn signals

Driven by a UPS690 strobe pack (very important... you want at least 15 watts/outlet - if you can afford an IPS188, go that way).

Positioning in the housings is very important - for the reverse lights, it's truly critical (lest the bulbs touch), and you'll see much better light dispersion if you get the tube in the brake lights as close to the other bulb (thus centered in the reflector) as possible.

There's no room in the "corner" lights.

My newest truck, an '05 F350, consists of all LEDs. I installed LEDs to replace what the strobes would be doing, and did away with the strobes altogether. I've been very pleased... installing hideaways is a real chore.
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

What did you do with the corners? Do they make a hideaway LED or did you do something else

Birken
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Birken Vogt wrote:What did you do with the corners? Do they make a hideaway LED or did you do something else

Birken
Depends on the accessories. My current POV is a 2005 F350, with both front and rear bumpers replaced with beefier units from Ranch Hand, and a Knapheide Knap Kap installed over the bed with double doors in the back (no tailgate). On this one, I didn't install anything in the light housings... they're stock.

To replace the front corners, I've got a red TIR3 mounted on an inset in the end of the front bumper which fires directly to the side. I've also got a blue TIR6 mounted to the skirt, at a ~30deg. angle from straight. These alternate and provide plenty of intersection punch combined with a dual Talon in the window, although I'm considering adding some lighting to the backsides of the mirrors and/or going to an Inneredge.

To replace the rears, I've got a TIR3 amber mounted level with the reverse lights firing to the rear (these are also my "non-emergency" don't-hit-me lights). Mounted to the sides of the Knap Kap (fore and aft of the toolbox) are 400-series Linear lightheads, split red/blue.

With that combination, the hideaway stuff wouldn't hardly be seen anyway.

All said and done, the truck has:
4 600-series Linears (2R, 2B)
2 500-series TIR6s (2B)
6 400-series Linears (1R, 1B, 4R/B)
4 TIR3s (2R, 2A)
1 Dual Talon (RR)

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”