TIR3 vs Nova Bulls

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

winger

TIR3 vs Nova Bulls

Post by winger »

Which is better on and off axis ?
Duct tape is like the force... It has a light side and a dark side....And it binds the universe together...
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I haven't used the Nova Bulls yet. I have had Whelen TIR3's and 911EP LED Stars side by side, the LED Star is a better product. However the TIR3 is easier to install. 911EP has redesigned the Stars and they will be out in a few weeks. I'm eager to see them in action.
John
winger

Post by winger »

Opinions on TIR3 and 911ep stars seem to vary. Could you elaborate a bit on your choice for the 911ep's ?
Duct tape is like the force... It has a light side and a dark side....And it binds the universe together...
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Well, I sell both 911EP and Whelen. The LED Stars have a dual angle setup. There are 3 LEDs, the outer two have a wide angle fluted lense and the center section of lense is non-fluted for a very bright direct light. I have found this combination to be very effective. The LED Stars are also slightly smaller and easier to fit into small spaces. I have a 2003 Silverado, I have Red/White LED Stars tucked in between my bumper and parking light lenses on both sides. The fit is perfect and the effect is equivalent to a hide-a-way corner strobe. I have also noticed that the Whelen TIR3's have some inconsistencies when it comes to color output. When installing Blue, some were a true blue while others were more of a cobalt color. It wouldn't be noticable except they were mounted side by side. The best thing for you to do Winger is look at both products yourself and see which one fits your needs the best. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
John
winger

Post by winger »

The best thing for you to do Winger is look at both products yourself and see which one fits your needs the best.
That's hard to do since nobody is using them (yet) on this side of the big lake. I'll have to do with pictures and video's I find on the internet and peoples recommendations.
911EP has redesigned the Stars and they will be out in a few weeks.
What are the changes on them ?

Do you think you'll see the Bull's any time soon ? If so, keep me updated on their performance.

I will keep your comments in mind. Maybe you could PM me a price quote on both the TIR's and stars?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

tir3 are a better built product. have a better warranty and easyer to install
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

See, this is where opinions come into play. Although Kit, I'm not sure why you are saying the warranty is better. Both products have a 5 Year Warranty.
John
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

if you knew how close he lived to the whelen plant, you'd know why the whelen policy is better...:-)

rumor has it that the TIR3 4 wire toys are getting a much needed revision...including better heat tolerance, fixing of the synchro-loss issue, and slimmer profiles...
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

LOLOL, ok now it makes sense, thanks Phish. It's funny you mention the synchro loss. I had a set lose synchro the other day and I thought I was seeing things. So this has been a wide-spread problem? I'll be interested to see what changes Whelen has in store.
John
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

i installed a whole set on a FD truck (maybe 12?) and had carefully dragged 4 conductor to all of them so that they would be completely synchronized...well, it worked all kinds of great..powered up fine, stepped thru the 4 wire conductor setup...with the green wire and the purple wire (we all know that one!) and signed the truck over.

(week passes)

owner of truck goes away, leaves truck at home, and powers up the lighting package to take a call, and all the patterns reverted to phase 1 pattern 1...i thought i was going crazy, i checked all my wiring, and reset it...and apparently the nonvolatile part of the board isn't as nonvolatile as they thought.

Some whelen people confirmed the problem with the series, and stated they are working on it...

btw...aww hell, we're all local to Whelen in this state! :-)
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i installed a set on my freinds 2005 3500 rack body dump

2 in the grill and 2 on the side fron between the bumber and the 1/4 panel

plus a wholeo lot of other lights too
wkr518

Whelen Linear 3 ?

Post by wkr518 »

Anyone played with them yet?
Linear instead of Super LED for the heads.
RS*02ZCR is the model number ( sub * for color choice)
Thanks
Wayne
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

TIR3's, TIR6's etc are DIRECTIONAL lightheads. 95% of the light will be projected forward. There are optic that help spread the light out a big, bit they are directional heads.

The Linear LED's use the same LED, however the optics are designed to spread the light out and gives you a good all around light similar to strobes.

I use the 500 Series Linear6's and find them to be a good all around light. These are the same modules that are used in the Liberty lightbar.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I will be interested to see the new Linear Tir3's. I just installed my first set of new 911EP LEDStars. All I can say is Wow. They blow all other's away. I'll have to compare them to the new TIR3's when they are out.
John
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

SafetyLighting wrote:I will be interested to see the new Linear Tir3's. I just installed my first set of new 911EP LEDStars. All I can say is Wow. They blow all other's away. I'll have to compare them to the new TIR3's when they are out.
Finally got a pair of Linear3 in.They are indeed giving off a better offside lighting than the TIR3 did.Maybe an extra 15 degrees to the sides.
I wish Whelen in CT will have more classes,so we can see what else they have up thier sleeves.
Not sure if the Linear3 will ever find its way into a TAD8 traffic advisor though.
Wayne
Pj

Post by Pj »

Word has it that the Lin3 heads will be available on anything the TIR3 is stuck in right now (dominators, inneredges etc)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Pj wrote:Word has it that the Lin3 heads will be available on anything the TIR3 is stuck in right now (dominators, inneredges etc)
True.My Whelen Direct Rep just confirmed this.Comparison tests we done here have shown the Linear3 to be brighter and give more coverage than the TIR3 so far,especially off the sides.
Wayne
Julian780

New Linear TIR-3

Post by Julian780 »

http://www.sirennet.com/lin3_video.html

Sirennet.com has a video demonstration. They show it side-by-side with
original TIR3. Ain't no comparison. The new Linear TIR-3 blows it away.

Looks like Whelen has created "a three element Talon" and squeezed it inside the housing of a TIR-3.

Best Regards,
Julian :)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Ugh. The new product IS NOT A LINEAR TIR3! The new product is a LIN3. TIR stands for Total Internal Reflection, and describes the optics of a lighthead. The new LIN3 is *not* a TIR-type optic.

Just because the dumbass in the Sirennet video said "Linear TIR3", doesn't make it correct.

And, the TIR3s are still brighter on-axis. They just have zero off-axis coverage.
Julian780

Linear 3

Post by Julian780 »

I stand corrected.

Perhaps I mis-quoted the guy in describing the new light.

Thought the new linear-3 was a cool light. Didn't mean to frustrate anyone.

Take care,
Julian :)
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have a two sets of LIN3's, and they are just like the linear6's. Very nice. I wouldn't say they are brighter or dimmer than the TIR6. Each has its own specific purpose. If you want blinding light straight forward, the TIR series if for you. If you want something that has a good light arc, the LIN is for you. If you cannot decide, default to the LIN.

BTW: Don't "test" these from a couple of feet away. Do it from a good distance as an approaching vehicle would. You will be suprised at the results.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”