F-150 Grille Lights

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ranger88

F-150 Grille Lights

Post by ranger88 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what the best LED grille lights are for an f-150. I have had some experience with strobes, however; I have not used LED's before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

911ep are pretty cool, interior or exterior
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

What year is the truck? If you got some money for big LED's, you could always try Whelen's 500/600 series lights, they're pretty big. Or you go with four TIR 3's, one in each corner. They have sync wires so you can hook them together, or buy an LED flasher, and control them all that way.
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

Knowing the year of the truck would help, but If I was choosing LED's I would go with a pair of Whelen 400 Series LED's. They make two different styles. FIrst style has 6 LED's on top and on the bottom which you can get in split level color. Very nice light heads. Can get them in a black or chorme plated grille housing. 2nd choice would be the same series (400) except in a single level LED. The single level I beleive gives you 6 or 8 leds in a single row. I have installed both types and I have been impressed with both. Both styles put out an extreme amount of light. I have an '04 Silverado 2500HD and I am using the 700 series Whelen and I love them.
Nick
ranger88

Post by ranger88 »

The truck is a 2006 FX4 model and has a bar style grille that leaves only limited LED room. The able 2 micro lights would fit nicely, any good?

Thanks
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

I have Micro lites installed on by back windows and their good and bright have no problem seeing them day or night and have great patterns.

Should work great for what your wanting to do.

BTW get the strobe flasher not the halogen.

Faster Flash = Better
JustaBuff

LEDs Ford F150

Post by JustaBuff »

We did a truck a few months back and we used 4 TIR3s each corner surface mounted, when we set them up we did opposite colors at the top and opposite bottom. This way Top right RED was on with Bottom Left White and then it alternated - it was a nice attention getter at a good price.$65.00 to $75.00 each. heres a pic of our set up on the truck. I have also used 700 Split lens RED/WHITE surface mounted.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slfd111/d ... pg&.src=ph
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
MississippiPI
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber III 800

grill lights

Post by MississippiPI »

I have a Ford Explorer equipped with red grill lites. I bought them from southwest products out of texas. They are clear until you turn them on; work fine.

Be Safe.
Jimmy Taylor
MississippiPI
All over the Great State of Mississippi
ranger88

Post by ranger88 »

Thanks for all who replied,

I went ahead and went with the Micro-Lights with a strobe flasher due to their price and size, and I went with JustaBuff's arrangement in the grille. The kit is back-ordered, but I got 2 of the light heads in and just connected them to the battery. They are really bright, and I look forward to getting the flasher in.

Just FYI, I went with a whelen slimlighter super-LED for a dash light and an 911ep 39" traffic director for the rear. I have ordered but not received these items and will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks Again.
KG4LHQ

Order.

Post by KG4LHQ »

http://www.wvsignalandlight.com/

This is where I ordered my Micro Lite set and I had it in 2 days UPS. And they wanted $100 Shipped and had a bunch of kits.

I highly recommend them.
JustaBuff

Post by JustaBuff »

glad to have been able to help a bit . be sure to post some pics when your done. good luck....
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
ranger88

Post by ranger88 »

Hi,

Here are some pictures, but with my 10 year old digital camera, I could not get pictures that do the truck justice. I am very happy with the micro lights. Although they are not the brightest LED available, they are very cost effective. I am looking for more in the rear because the TD39 is not very noticable from a long distance away.

Equiptment:
Whelen Super-LED Slimlighter
Four Head Micro-Light Kit
911EP TD39

Click For Pictures

Brock
firegood

Post by firegood »

The micro lights look like the fit ok in the grille area. In the back if you are looking for more stopping power make the cargo lights wig wag.
ranger88

Post by ranger88 »

That is a really good idea. I'm assuming that it would be a positive switch, and would I need a tail light flasher instead of a headlight flasher?

Thanks,
Brock
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Ranger, check out the new 911EP stuff. Extremely bright with the same low profile as before. The new stuff beats the old by a huge margin.
John
firegood

Post by firegood »

ranger88 wrote:That is a really good idea. I'm assuming that it would be a positive switch, and would I need a tail light flasher instead of a headlight flasher?

Thanks,
Brock
if they come on with the dome light then i think its negative switched. (It gets a ground signal from the switch in the frame of the car.) A headlight flasher would work i have done it with one of those 10 dollar galls boxes, Just be shure to check the polarity you before you order one.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

If you are going to wig-wag the cargo lights, I wouldn't spend the cash for a full blown flasher. Just get a 537 flasher. I believe the Ford cargo lights are hooked right in with the dome lights so you will need a relay to prevent backfeeding that will flash the interior lights.
John

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”