Help needed: getting 24v from a 12v vehicle

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Help needed: getting 24v from a 12v vehicle

Post by Jay G. »

Ok, here's the project - Years ago, our Rescue Co. was donated a polaroid camera for use on our ambulance. We take pics of scenes and show them to the hospitals. It has been very helpful over the years. We now were given a digital camera with printer to match. It works off 24vdc at 1.8 amps. I need to get 24vdc at 1.8 amps from the 12v system on the ambulance. NO, 120v is no good because when the ambulance is out on the road, we also need the 24v power. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I'm not understanding why 120 volts won't work. I read about the rig being on the road, I'm just not comprehending what you are trying to explain about it.
John
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

One of two options:

Run a small inverter, then plug in the included wall wart. This may generate some RF hash, and it's inefficient (12VDC --> 110VAC --> 24VDC). Make sure the inverter is switched with battery master - you don't want to end up with a stranded bus.

Run a switch-mode DC-DC converter, available from Mouser, Digikey, and others. You still have some RF hash possibilities, but you don't have as much inefficiency.
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

there should be an inverter on the bus I'm not understanding this either.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”