Siren Speaker Question?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Siren Speaker Question?

Post by unlisted »

When using a speaker, normally you would use all that is provided with the speaker (the plastic cone)
Someone (from e-bay) is attempting to tell me you can just use the driver without the plastic cone attached (I am saying cone for lack of knowing the proper word) He even sent me a pic and said he does this all the time on customers' installs and has never had a problem....
I live in Canada, which means snow, Lots of snow, salt on the road, rain and freezing temp(s). I figure without the cone, it would break quicker. Am I right?

I would attach a picture but I cannot figure out how to. If someone could tell me.... I would include the pic...

Also, I have been thinking about buying one of those flat (conceable type) speakers, but some people have been telling me they die quickly from exposure to the elements.. anyone know about this?

Thanks again for all your comments!
wa3rdm

Post by wa3rdm »

I have seen people with small cars remove the cone and replace it with a painted "cool whip" or other smaller plastic containers with success.

Would a Manufacturer cover a blown speaker this way ?
Probably not , but it should work.

The federal speakers I am seeing have a piece that screws over the actual driver, so it would stay clear.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

You do NOT want to leave the speaker without the bell and reentry cone attached. Very bad idea.

Personally, especially if you have to deal with salt/snow, I'd go with the Whelen SA314P. It's a polymer frame, so you don't have corrosion issues. And it's flat, for easier mounting.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I agree with tvsjr, do not use the speaker driver with the bell and cone. I also agree that the SA314P is a good choice of speaker. There are many in use in my area with good results.
John
amber4434a

Siren speaker

Post by amber4434a »

You have to use the cone and the horn with the siren speaker. Without the cone and horn, plan on losing at least 50% of your sound output. Also the cone and horn will protect the driver from inclement weather.
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

This is what I thought... I just thought I would ask... That guy who wanted to sell it to me, is getting really pushy. He also is Insisting it will work flawlwssly... (right)
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

Well, if I dealt with a fella that's like that, I'd agree to the sale but would pay him $3 Clinton dollars. If he balks, just use the same tactics he's using on you!
Sean Barr
EVConcepts

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”