Civilian Impala Surv. Switch

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4VDK

Civilian Impala Surv. Switch

Post by KG4VDK »

Is there a feasible way to have a DIY surveillance switch in a civilian 200 Impala? If not the entire lighting system override, how about at least a headlamp/parklamp kill? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

I've been wondering the same thing, Wanting to have some sort of surv mode on a 2004 impala... the big thing was wanting to also be able to kill the interior lights
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

shouldn't be too hard...just put a cutout switch on the power lead to the domelights...(spoken by someone with NO experience in those vehicles - but who knows it works in a Explorer!)
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

thebigphish wrote:shouldn't be too hard...just put a cutout switch on the power lead to the domelights...(spoken by someone with NO experience in those vehicles - but who knows it works in a Explorer!)
yea, thats what im probably going to have to do for the interior eventualy... for the exterior, if you touch any of the lighting, it will set off the internal alarm on the bcm and it will alert you on the dash... very annoying...
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Not going to happen.

Anything in the Impala that is not powertrain-related is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). This includes all lights, windows, door locks, OnStar, etc.

You cannot fool the BCM into thinking it has Surv Mode enabled....you need a blank (new) BCM and the GM Tech II programmer. During the blank unit's initialization, you enable or disable features based on what trim level the car is. All civilian cars have the Surv Mode disabled, and only certain federal customers have been able to get dealers to hook them up.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

I would bug the guys over at the newimpala.com forum about that. They have a dedicated 9C1 section.

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

D&R Electronics makes a blackout module that should work with the impala. It is a pain in the ass to install, but it should work.
smk8er
What radios do you own?: cdm1550ls, maratrac, Pro9150,

Post by smk8er »

Look at this link you may have to cut and paste it to your browser. I just ordered mine and should have it soon.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?nam ... hlight=drl
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

smk8er wrote:Look at this link you may have to cut and paste it to your browser. I just ordered mine and should have it soon.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?nam ... hlight=drl
I saw that, but that only does the DRLs, it doesn't do the lights in the rear or the interior lights.
smk8er
What radios do you own?: cdm1550ls, maratrac, Pro9150,

Post by smk8er »

This kit does the Day time lights and also the Automatic light controls. I just installed it the other day and i love it the only lights it does not cut off are the interior so i will have to live with that but it is a nice kit and took a few minutes to install it.
familo77

Post by familo77 »

I know this can be done, an agent I work with fairly often got a civie Impala last year and the dealer actually worked this one for him. I don't know what is involved in the setup, but he has a cut-out switch that works exactly like the one in my package car.
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

smk8er wrote:This kit does the Day time lights and also the Automatic light controls. I just installed it the other day and i love it the only lights it does not cut off are the interior so i will have to live with that but it is a nice kit and took a few minutes to install it.
Yea, I'm planing on getting that, I've looked at it and it looks like it would work perfectly, it wouldn't kill the brake lights (the surv kills all but the 3rd brake light i believe) and as for the interior lights, just install a relay that removes ground from them when the switch is turned on.
familo77 wrote:I know this can be done, an agent I work with fairly often got a civie Impala last year and the dealer actually worked this one for him. I don't know what is involved in the setup, but he has a cut-out switch that works exactly like the one in my package car.
I have looked in to this, it can be done under certian curcemstances.
1. it does not have fog lights/fog light harness
2. you are a federal/government agent/agency and can prove it
3. you are willing to pay a lot of $$ (I think I heard $300 for it)
4. if #2 is not true for you, you will have to find a dealership that is willing to do it, and will probably have to pay twice as much.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”