LED flasher for stop-turn-tail (STT) light (Whelen perhaps?)

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

LED flasher for stop-turn-tail (STT) light (Whelen perhaps?)

Post by jedi_saber »

Thinking about replacing the third brake light in a cruiser/suv's with an LED or an LED+flasher that pulses/flickers the LED when applying the brakes and then comes on steady right thereafter.

I have seen this on police motorcycles, ambulances and fire vehicles before. It's greatly attention-grabbing when you first hit the brakes and then just stays on solid as long as the brakes are applied, like a normal brake light.

The ones observed on ambulances I think were all Whelen, IIRC. Anyone have any idea if this is a specific LED or flasher?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I know the 600-series Smart LEDs support a "Steady-Brake" flash pattern that gives you the stutter-steady pattern. Check the lighthead catalog - I know they've got quite a few S/T/T lightheads - perhaps they support the flash pattern you're looking for?
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Justt so you are aware Jedi, it violates the FMVSS to flash a third brakelight. That is why all new cruisers that are equipped with a tail-light flasher do not flash the third brakelight. That being said, Whelen produces an in-line flasher for the purpose of adding the Signal Alert flash pattern to any LED lighthead. From what I could find, the model number is SGNALRT but I could not find any price listing for it. So give Whelen a call and see if the device is still available.
John
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Not looking to flash the brakelight as part of the warning system, just keeping it independent and making it a better, more noticeable brakelight - just like on motorcycles, ambulances etc, as mentioned above.

If this proves to be too much of a PITA, I might opt for a 911ep LS12-STT. Anyone have any experience with these?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Technically, John is right... what you're trying to do, even as a simple brakelight, does violate federal regulations. That said, there are lots of vehicles doing it... hell, our local public transportation authority has a pair of rear-facing Par36 red LEDs that fire together, CometFlash, for the duration the brakes are applied... truly irritating.

I'm interested to see what you come up with. I need to reinstall a CHMSL on my truck as the Arrowstik required its removal. I need to mount the lamps on each of the double-doors, necessitating two lamps to make things look right. So far, my best choice has been a couple of TIR3s, but that's a. expensive and b. probably too bright.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

Jedi, I may not have explained myself properly. The SGNALRT from Whelen is exactly for the purpose of a brakelight. The Signal Alert flash pattern is a flash then steady on, which I think is exactly what you are asking for. Installation is very easy, three wires: One to ground, then you cut the factory wire going to your brakelight and this module has an input and output wire.

http://www.whelen.com/install/134/13413.pdf
Last edited by SafetyLighting on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Thanks to both of you for the clarification and model numbers. I will have to think about this one and will let you guys know what exactly we'll end up doing.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”