Connector Question.....What do you think?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Blazeorange

Connector Question.....What do you think?

Post by Blazeorange »

In my issued vehicle I have an LED Visor Light (Sound-Off) that works very well for my limited use in an unmarked vehicle. However, when we were issued them, they came with a coil cord. That coil cord is kind of annoying for a front seat passenger. I see some of our guys have them tucked up under the visor and only plug them in when necessary.

Here is my thought. I was going to cut (about six inches down from the light) the coil cord. I want to install a male or female connector there with a two pin connection. I was thinking about using the same AMP plugs that are used on the Spectra radios for the speaker.

I then plan to run dual strand red/black wire up the pillar post and hide it under the headliner and put a plug (appropriate gender) onto that. It will then be powered directly and fused. The light itself has three different power buttons on it so there's no reason for anymore switches in the car.

On the remaining coil cord, I plan to put another spectra plug (appropriate gender) on it so that if I was assigned to a different vehicle, I could plug the coil cord back into the light and move it to the other car.

Should I be concerned about running the power through the AMP connector? It's LED and I've run it for an hour or less and the light doesn't even seem to create any heat issues. Since the AMP plug is hidden up and above the visor, I thought that this would be a very clean look and functional in case I have to swap it out.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Blaze.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

as long as it is a secure connection, and the connectors are soldered and crimped together, and then securely mate in the housing...you will be fine. The LEDs draw nominal current anyways, you'll have to approach somehing close to the current limits of the wire before you start to have problems anyways.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”