Whelen Edge Power Supply vs. flash pattern question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ROOFLIFECO
Banned

Whelen Edge Power Supply vs. flash pattern question

Post by ROOFLIFECO »

Hey everyone.

If any of you can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I am working on an 8 strobe, 4 flasher, 2 alley light edge 9000 lightbar with a friend and we are trying to get the flash pattern so it goes from comet flash, to single strobe bursts, to comet flash, to single strobe bursts and so on. We are also trying to make it so that the takedowns flash, as do the rear flashers. Available to us are Whelen SL6 and EB6 Power supplies and we are not sure which one to use. We only have one EB6 and four SL6.

I have printed out Whelen's diagram on changing the flash pattern, but it did not help. The flash pattern is supposed to change(according to the diagram) with the brown wire in the strobe cable, but that does nothing.

I would also like to know how to make it so that the takedowns and rear flashers alternate. Along with the two power supplies is a circut board where most of the wires lead to.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

so you want to create a flash pattern, on a powersupply that has preset flash patterns out of two separate patterns? So you want it to do a round of comet flash, then a single flash and then back? is that what you are asking?
kj7xe

Post by kj7xe »

We have several of the 9000s in the fleet here (many of them in the mid-90s vintage) of that style that take SL6 and EB6 PSs. The power/control connectors in the LB will tell you which PS you'll be using, and unfortunately they're not interchangable by extracting pins and swapping connectors becuase of the electrical and wiring design difference between the two.

On most of our bars, the white/blue, white/violet, white/yellow, white/red and white/green wires activate options (such as flash patterns) on the light bar, and the brown wire is the wire that those are shorted to (the brown wire is fused +12V). On the newer 9M bars, the flash patterns are only adjustable by settings inside the bar itself.

There are a few aincent bars (9004SL) that have the gray wire as random flash and red/black as double flash, and tying both together will activate sequential.

And as I recall, flashing takedowns aren't a standard option in the older bars but were available by request, so it will depend on of it was ordered with that option.
Casey KJ7XE
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

On the SL6 Power Supply, the Brown and White wires are supposed to have constant 12 volts applied to change the pattern to sequential flash. Am I understanding that you tried this and it didn't change the pattern?
John

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”