2006 ford exploer info

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mokena208

2006 ford exploer info

Post by mokena208 »

Not too sound too much like a noob, but I have never really worked on an Explorer yet. I have done a bunch of CVPI and Impala, but no Explorer. I have seen the upfitter guide for the CVPI and the extra police manual in the Impala, but I cannot find anything out about the Explorer. I am trying to do a little reasearch before I get them so that the install goes smooth. Does such a guide exist? I have tried Ford Fleet and the dealer, but neither is willing to help. Also, does the Explorer special service package come with the power drops (similiar to the Crown and the Impala?)

Thanks in advance for the help and I will post some pics when I get done!

Thanks
nickburns

Post by nickburns »

Well, just got an 06 Explorer XLT last week and have been working on the install for 2 days now. First, I'm installing 4 corner strobes, Whelen Talon in the front, 6 LED Whelen Dominiator in the back, XTL 2500 & Whelen 9 switch siren in the console using the new Jotto Desk Explorer console, and a Gamber Johnson laptop mount....Whew!!! Now for the lowdown.

No suitable holes in the firewall so plan on using a hole saw to make entry to the engine compartment. Strobes in rear stop lights were easy to put in, front headlight strobes require some work, due to the double shell style of headlight. Center console pops out easy and the Jotto Desk pops right in place with no problems. The Talon is going to be have to be mounted over passenger side visor due to Fords wiring coming down to the rear view mirror, and the overhead console is in the way. Havent mounted the rear Dominator yet so I'll have to let ya know on that one. One thing that I cannot figure out is how to get the damn grille out of the vehicle. Took out the top six clips and figured out that is clipped into the front bumper assembly and it doesnt look like you can take those clips out without breaking them. There is plenty of room in the rear cargo area as the floor panels lift up for nice mounting spot for radio, strobe pack, etc....Good luck, and if anybody has any tips on the grille, please pass them along. Thanks.

JR
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

Thanks for the info. I think that I should be getting my 2 in the end of the week or beginning of next. If I figure out anything on the grille, I will let you know.

Thanks
nickburns186

Post by nickburns186 »

Well, dont remove the grille! Just in front of the left wheel well is the perfect spot to mount a whelen slimline siren. Get the Ford Explorer bracket and it lines up perfectly with some existing bolts! Other than that, I'm done with the install and will post some pics shortly....

JR
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

nickburns wrote: No suitable holes in the firewall so plan on using a hole saw to make entry to the engine compartment.

If you're just installing a radio and not a whole ton of stuff in them, you can actually get the wiring through the factory electrical harness boot. It's tight, but I've done it before.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

Thanks for the info.... Still waiting for the cars to show up! Why is it when you are all set to go, the cars and the parts never show up!? Thanks for the info on siren speaker, do you think that putting leds in the grille will be a problem?

Thanks again. Once I get the 2 exploreres I will get some pics too!
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

I finally was able to take delivery of one of the 2 that I am going to be setting up. I did a little poking around and found the grille not to hard to get off. I took out the 6 or so 'fake' screw reatiner things in the top. I pulled the grille toward the front of the truck and found 4 nuts on plastic bolts. I think that it was 10mm. Took those off. I then took a long flat screw driver and worked the grille off of the plastic bolts. The tabs at the bottom were able to be popped out with the flat blade. It does take some patience. Once I get the truck done, I will post some pictures.

I was thinking of putting the strobe pack, inter-connects, etc behind the panel in the rear on the drivers side. Where the little lower side storage container is. I was thinking of below the storage comparments on the floor, but thought it might be too easy for the cops to mess with the wiring. Any one else have any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Quick question -

are these column shift - or they all console shift?

I have been driving an 06 for work for the past weekend, and it's a nice truck, that I do have to say. gas mileage leaves some to be desired.

I'm riding around in the XLT package one.... stupid column shift.

Thankfully... just a rental.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
mokena208

Post by mokena208 »

They are both floor shifters. I don't think that the column shifter is available any more. I really love my 2002 because it has the column shifter, it makes the jotto desk in mine look good. I think that the jotto desk is too far back in the 2006, but it is still a good looking console.

But yea, the gas milage sucks. It is about 70-75 for me to fill it up. Time to get some more ot!

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”