Federal Signal RUMBLER

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Federal Signal RUMBLER

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Our local rep just stopped by and gave us a demo of Federal Signals new Rumbler siren addition. I was impressed, but I am curious if anyone else has an opinopn or story about them. It seems like a good idea, but is it worth the extra cash?

For those who have no idea what I am talking about:
http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=253

~WEC 8)
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

First time I heard about this. Concept sounds cool - will need to see if I can get someone locally to demo this.

Any idea how much this would cost, and does this just get hooked up parallel to the siren speaker or will you have to give up 100/200watts output?

Thanks for sharing this info.
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Wow, that's pretty neat!
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

How about a boom box with a million watt amp and huge speakers playing some rap music? Same effect!

Fowler
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Now that................... is ghettotastic!

SG
tensi0n
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by tensi0n »

What will they think of next?
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

My first impression was mixed. Yeah, standing next to the thing it sounded like a tornado siren. But from an installers point of view, that is just one more $%@ thing to install. I would really need to justify why I should invest in something that nobody else has tried and would recommend.

~WEC 8)
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

can anyone advise how much one would have to shell out for one of these units?
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I was told somewhere in the realm of $600 - $800 for one kit. (Depending on how well your rep likes you)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

kg4ere wrote:Our rep came by and gave us a demo as well. I am wondering what the long term effects of a rumbler are going to be on the avereage vehicle? It certainly has potential to vibrate some things apart.
Do what the public safety agencies here do, and sell of the vehicle when the clock hits 40,000km. Let the next owner worry about it :D
x1sspic
What radios do you own?: AstroSpectra XTS3K XTS5K APX7K

Post by x1sspic »

I'm intrigued. Would love to experience one firsthand to assess it's usefullness vs. ghettofantasticness 8)
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

\//
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

100,000 is still young if you actually maintain it.

Mine has 165,000 and is still as good as it was 4 years ago when I got it. (not new)
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Has anybody had the chance to give these a shot yet?

I am curious as to how they performed, if folks think they actually work or, if any cruisers have fallen apart as a result of using the rumbler.
firemanfox

Post by firemanfox »

I have had the experiance of hearing one in action. A second long thump is like a kick in the chest by a horse. They will make anything not bolted down dance across the floor. Seems like they move cars pretty well too, it will at least get the attention of some drivers who don't pay attention to regular sirens to look up and see the flashing lights.
Fire Department Lieutenant
Pimpala03
What radios do you own?: M1225, HT100, P1225, etc

Post by Pimpala03 »

In God we trust. Everyone else, we run through NCIC, Thinkstream, and III.
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Just ordered one on the new ambulance at work, cost = around 6-700. Should be interesting. The chief had a big woody when he came back from our dealer, so who knows. Can't wait to try it in city traffic.
Mike
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Federal Signal RUMBLER

Post by com501 »

Federal Police are getting them. Annoying, when you are in a building, sounds like a high speed steam roller going by. And yes, EVERYTHING vibrates around.

I am assuming that if my local department gets these, if they use them at night in the residential districts like they do now with the regular sirens, many people will be upset and complain. It is worse than the train going by, if your house is close to the highway.

For how it affects traffic, meh. Not sure yet. Most people are so immune to external noise in their cars and have their own systems cranked so high I think they won't hear it.

My Sireeno siren on my old Cadillac ambulance was the best. 250 amps of raw motor power could blow the ceiling tiles off the inside of the barn roof.
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Now that we have the Rumbler on the new truck, I like it. It definately makes people pay attention to you. Inside the ambulance (a Chevy 4500 LifeLine) is remarkably quiet, even with both sirens and the rumbler in operation.
Mike
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I know that NYPD and DC Metro have test cars, if not fully starting to outfit their new cars coming in to service with the Rumblers.

I think the attention getting part of it is that people just are not used to the sound. It will make people turn and look at it. The problem with this in metro cities is that like sirens, the people who hear them all the time will become conditioned to the nose to the point they will probably end up ignoring it.

I've heard one once in DC - but short of that, haven't really had any exposure to it. The only reason why it caught my attention was because I heard something rumbling - but knew what it was since an officer friend informed me of them being installed.

Just my $0.01.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

My cost is $420, I am not sold on it though.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by RFguy »

Our department did extensive testing. They tested it in urban areas using officers in private vehicles with the stereos turned up and with headphones on. They tested with both a regular siren (200 watt with a 200-watt speaker) and with the Rumbler.
In every case the Rumbler gave several seconds more advanced warning and cleared cars faster.

They found the results very conclusive and are outfitting all vehicles with the Rumbler.
tiawah466

Post by tiawah466 »

Here is a story one of the local news stations did.
http://cfc.ktul.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=7228&ref=home

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”