smartsiren PA volume adjustment

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eboe

smartsiren PA volume adjustment

Post by eboe »

is there a way to adjust the PA volume on the SS2000SS smartsiren? maybe i'm blind, but i just don't see it in any of the manuals i have.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

There should be a screw style adjustment on the brain box, or at least there was on the brain boxes my agency had to run the smartsiren/vision set up.

Pretty much not user adjustable, we just left ours all the way turned up.
eboe

Post by eboe »

on your vision stuff, was the adjustment screw visible with the cover on or did you have to open up the box to get at it?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

As I remember it was on the side where the control pad, bar, and aux lights plugged in, but I could be wrong.

IIRC it was visible from the outside and the screw was white in color, but recessed slightly in to the case - you had to use a bladed screwdriver to get at it. It was also fairly clearly marked.

There have been a good number of revisions to the smartsiren over the years, so yours may be different. I looked on ebay and could not see the volume adjustment on any of the ones on there. I'll have to go digging on Sunday and see if we still have either of the vision brain boxes laying around for me to examine...for my own sanity now if nothing else.
eboe

Post by eboe »

i found it! i don't know where it is on other revisions, but on mine its INSIDE the chassis. it's not accessible unless you take the cover off. not only that, but its on the lower circuit board. you have to remove the top board to get at it. there are two pots right next to each other. not the square box-type pots, these are the little ferris-wheel lookin ones that stand on end. (sorry for the stupid names, i don't know what they're really called) one is for PA and one is for radio rebroadcast. 1/4-turn to the left and voila! nice crispy VOLUME! you can practically hear my heart beating on this thing now. 8) thanks for racking your brain and losing some sanity for me, though. lol
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

It's very possible that that's how the one on the vision is to, but I haven't worked on one in a while (thank god). It would have been so much easier if it was programmable from the keypad like the rest of the features.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”