2006 Impala

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MotoTech

2006 Impala

Post by MotoTech »

I just got a 2006 Impala Lt. shifter on the column and was wondering if anyone has worked on these yet. looking for pics of strobe installs, console and where to get ACC power (switched power) for key off position.

Matt
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MotoTech

Impala

Post by MotoTech »

Thanks for the tips, i saw that the rear looked pretty easy, my buddy who does installs took a look and said it didnt look to bad. it is not a police unit, so there is not power harness in the floor on the pass side.
MasterMarine

Post by MasterMarine »

Matt,

Troy makes a console base that works pretty well. Slides under the seat mounts in front and bolts on where the sorry cup holder is in the rear. I used a combo angle / straight console in the one I rigged.

I did not put front strobes in. I installed a couple TIR3 on the grill on custom angle brackets. They are amazingly unnoticeable when off but super eye catching when on. I put strobes in the rear lights but can not remember exactly which part of the light (seems like it was tail and brake lights). I mounted blue/blue double Talons in the front and rear windows.

The big pain was the siren speaker. I mounted that in front of the drivers side front wheel. I had to remove the headlight and I used the bracket from Whelen with the standard plastic square Whelen speaker.

I also found GM was kind (not!) and ran a roof support rib down the center of the roof front to back so it makes things a bit difficult to mount the Motorola mount for the antenna. If you put it dead center side to side everything is cool but the antenna coax has to run down the rib toward the rear of the car to an opening. It is difficult to get to to pull the cable out of there unless you pull down the headliner a bit.

Turned out to be a real nice car. It even has a spoiler on the back and the chief got some cool wheels for it. Totally undercover.

Later,
MasterMarine
squashie8

I agree

Post by squashie8 »

I agree with you about that whelen speaker bracket. I'm assuming you are referring to the one with the bolt up top and then the one that sticks inside the "frame" with the tiny opening to work with. Surely they can come up with something better than that. The headlight flasher plugs are more difficult to get to as well. The '05 Impalas and before were a breeze compared to the newer model. That's just my opinion though.
Josh Huff
Installation Technition/IT Manager
Interceptor Public Safety Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 817
1110 Indian Springs Drive
Forsyth, GA 31029
1-866-834-4375
http://www.interceptor-pse.com
KuhnElectronics
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Moto, Vertex

Post by KuhnElectronics »

where does the whelen go?

i did a federal that went on the driver side down in the bumper and it was a pain!

i have noticed that federal has been real good @ not giving you ALL the directions when you buy a custom bracket...
Nick Kuhn - Communications Technician/Technical Manager
AMP Electronics - Chillicothe, OH
http://www.amp-electronics.net
MasterMarine

Post by MasterMarine »

The bracket mounts the speaker below the driver's side headlight behind the bumper behind the "vent" in the bumper. It is a big empty space down there with difficult access.

MasterMarine
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Difficult to access?? Take the headlight out. I can have a federal Dynamax installed in about 5 minutes using a 1/2 in wrench and a 3/8 bit on a right angle cordless Dewalt. Even the Code3 drills in with 2 sheet metals.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”