Hide-A-Way Hole Plug

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

svfd1243
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: MTX8000 MTS2000 HT1250 MTX8250

Hide-A-Way Hole Plug

Post by svfd1243 »

There is a good chance that I may be trading in my current vehichle very soon which has all of my lighting in. Im removing 6 HAW tubes from the headlights and tailights to move them to the new vehicle. Now I will need something to plug the 1" holes left behind. Anyone know who or where to get these plugs? Ive seen them before but I cant remember where it was now. Id like to find rubber plugs if possible. Any help is appreciated
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

go to the electrical section of home depot get some nock ou plugs and rtv them in

or just leave them in my freind does that on his truck not worth saveing thr bulbs
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

if it's a trade in, and no one knows they are there...then just duct tape them over and tell not a soul.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

One-inch hole plugs...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Suggest you try the http://www.Tessco.com catalog online. I haven't
looked for plugs at Tessco but I'll bet they have just
what you need. The 3/4 inch plug is probably somewhat
easier to find since it's the "standard" Motorola hole size.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Most are a 1" Hole. I use a black plastic hole plug. I get mine at waytec. Back it up with some silcone. There are other sources toohttp://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LAN ... 71+M37+ENG

GMC

Post by GMC »

Hello,

You beat me to it................

http://www.heyco.com/pages/thumbnails3.html
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

thebigphish wrote:if it's a trade in, and no one knows they are there...then just duct tape them over and tell not a soul.
Exactly... what they don't know, won't hurt them.
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

Depending on where the holes are you may have a better chance covering them with Aluminum duct tape (the metal kind, not fabric)

This will allow a cheap way to provide a watertight seal, and it will also reflect light better than a black plastic plug. I've used this tape before with no issues, and its still holding on strong 2 years later. (frabic dust tape wil not; we also have -30 winters and +80 summers- so a wide temperature extreme)
-unlisted
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

motosapien wrote:Depending on where the holes are you may have a better chance covering them with Aluminum duct tape (the metal kind, not fabric)

This will allow a cheap way to provide a watertight seal, and it will also reflect light better than a black plastic plug. I've used this tape before with no issues, and its still holding on strong 2 years later. (frabic dust tape wil not; we also have -30 winters and +80 summers- so a wide temperature extreme)
This what I use and you can get it at any home store (i.e. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) in the aisle with duct work and sheetmetal. Works fine and as motosapien said, it helps act as reflector.

DB
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

I have always used tire patches over the holes with a thin bit of RTV over the edges.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Why bother saving the lamps?
The hourly rate to remove them and patch the holes must be way more than replacement of the lamps.
We just leave them in and remove the controller.
Much better use of our time
NCSHP311

Post by NCSHP311 »

Bruce1807 wrote:Why bother saving the lamps?
The hourly rate to remove them and patch the holes must be way more than replacement of the lamps.
We just leave them in and remove the controller.
Much better use of our time
I understand if you are doing this as a business, I do all my own work, plus some installs for friends!
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

You have no value on your private time?
NCSHP311

Post by NCSHP311 »

yes but in reality it doesent take that long for one and two I dont have 15-20 bucks to blow on new tubes everytime I decide to change vehicles.
NCSHP311

Post by NCSHP311 »

BTW anyone have any gromet tubes they wanna sell I need 8 and 8 cables....
kg6bki

Post by kg6bki »

yea I have the strobes in my Honda accord and I want to pull them out and install them in my Acura....but also I don't want to have to spend $20 per tube having to replace them all again...the reflective tape is sounding like the best Idea over a black plug...

Brian

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”