Code 3 2100 lightbar

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rangerfourever

Code 3 2100 lightbar

Post by rangerfourever »

Anyone installed/used the Code 3 2100 LED lightbar. We are replacing two squads and these bars are on our states joint purchasing contract. I have heard that the takedown/alley lights are not as good as older rotater bars. thanks
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

We have one. In my opinion, they suck. The flash patterns are terrible/non-synchronized, and they have zero off-axis punch.

Can you source a Liberty, Freedom, Tomar Blade, or one of the FedSig Solaris bars off the state contract? In my mind, the C3 is one step above the BlowMe LED lightbars.
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

In reference to the patterns / head synch, I thought I was the only one who thought that. It's terrible. Would reccomend the LFL series from Whelen. BLINDING, even in bright sunlight!
Mike
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Got a 2100 as a demo bar, as well as a Whelen, 2100 blows chunks, even after upgraded LED's on the rear.

But if are only paying $6-$700 for them, then they are good, otherwise, Whelen is the hot ticket.

SG
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

We are not going with the 2100 local pd has them on new squads bad bad bad Looking at Whelen or Federal from local dealer thanks guys
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

We have a 2100 on one of our security trucks and it has been nothing but problems. We've had the arrowstick led's replaced 3 times in 2 years because diodes keep burning out. I'm trying to convince them to go with Whelen next time.
Double_Deuz

Post by Double_Deuz »

The company I work for is a HUGE Code 3 retailer, personally from an installer perspective, they are adequate.
The price is right, they are modular (no main flasher to go out and nuke the bar) and they are durable, but
they are lame

My choice is the Whelen LFL
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

We have a 2100 LED bar that works perfectly fine. Very bright and effective. I am clueless why people hate this bar.

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

Are we talking about the 2100’s with the LED X modules? Most of the agencies around here have gone to the 2100’s with the Optix modules and they are pretty visible. The lack of sync is a draw back but they are bright.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter

Post by chipjumper »

Yes, I was referring to the 2100 bar with optix. Its very reliable and bright. We have it in red/white and looks good during daylight.

losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Code 3's LED X 2100, MX7000 and Excalibur lightbars built off of the same style and parts? If you look at an MX7000 LOWER level dome from the front of the bar, there is basically two halves (this is all on the LOWER level dome [I'm not referring to both the upper and lower sections], theres one half on the top and one on the bottom) that have been moulded together, and you can see the horizontal line/crack in the plastic where the two sections meet. If you look at an Excalibur it is the same on the upper level as an MX7000 but on the lower level it is lower profile than the MX7000 and only has one of the 'halves' of the MX7000 style lower dome, with no conjoining line/crack in the plastic.

When you look at a LED X 2100 it basically has the look of an Excalibur lightbar's lower level lighting section but instead of the big rounded upper domes on the MX or Excalibur, it has completely flat ones. Nobody has probably tried it yet, But my bet is you could take an Excalibur, remove the upper level domes, remove the rotators/strobes and mirrors etc, replace all the lower level lights with Code 3 LED modules, take some upper domes from a 2100 bar, and slap them on and clip them into place. The MX7000, Excalibur and 2100 all appear to use the exact same silver colored dome attaching clips and mount feet anyway.

And for all those out there that hate the LED X, (I'm in that club) :P you could prolly take some used but clean good condition Excalibur or MX7000 upper domes, mirrors and rotators/strobes and persuade the boss (or yourselves) :P to go the opposite way to what I said above, and change your 2100's to Excaliburs. It would take some time and minor rewiring, but it could be done if you have the permission and the time to spend. Tell the bean counters it's cheaper to convert the 2100's into Excaliburs with used but good condition and clean parts than it is to buy and sell new and old replacement bars, plus it's less hassle. (If your department doesnt like the 2100's that is)

You could find all the parts on eBay nice and cheap. Hey, they may not be MX7000's, but Excaliburs are damn close if not nearly identical. The only way you would be able to tell the difference between a real Excalibur or 2100 and a converted one to the opposite model is the labels on the side of the domes near the alley lights, which are easily interchangable if that bothers you. Just call Code 3 and ask them to send out new labels for the model you are converting to, or find them on old bars and use those.

I wonder if I'm correct about all that stuff.... I think I am anyway... :-?
(don't try it on your department cars until someone on this board can try it on their personal or spare bars and confirm that it works, or elce you may have wasted time and money....but I'm pretty sure I'm right anyway and what I've said will all work) 8)

Nic.
Motorola, Federal Signal and the MX7000 RULE!
Anexkahn

Post by Anexkahn »

I have 4 of these bars in service and have had no problems with them. They are decent offangle even in daylight. All of our department loves them.
jayres

Post by jayres »

Have 2 of them in service on our fleet here, plus another agency has 2 in service locally. We all like them, other than you can't sync the modules...
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter

Re: Code 3 2100 lightbar

Post by chipjumper »

its too bad they with the LED technology that they at least didn't offer the capability to satisfy every type of customer. I like the random though; random like a rotator bar. Many PD's around us have the Optix bars and they are very effective.

jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Well I recently installed a new 2100 on a new squad. I wish the you could do something with the flash patterns but apparently not. Within a week though it took a bullet and is still ticking, though it needs a few new pieces, lol. Yes I'm serious, it got shot during a not so pleasant encounter. Parts on on order and it should be back to 100 percent soon.

Jason
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Code 3 came out recently with a syncable and programmable flasher for the 2100
firefighter105
What radios do you own?: Spectra,TK780,TK280,HT1250,XTS

Post by firefighter105 »

I hate Code 3 Led's. I have pair of the LED-X modules and I have had a previous pair. Of the four modules, Three have died. What has Code 3 done to make them so unreliable. Personally I love LED lights, at work all the ambulances in my province have them. But when I get the money to replace these LED-x modules, I will never think of Code 3 again. Whelen is my choice from now on. Heck, i would even go with Able 2 over Code 3.

I have seen the 2100 on a few police cars in the city, and I don't find them that bright. I have had a few opportunities to witness them and if you put them beside the LFL from Whelen (which some of the cars there have as well), Whelen flashes drown them out because they are twice as bright.

I think you should avoid the 2100 and go with Whelen. At least you will be seen.

Just my two cents worth.
been seeing way too many people who are DWBAD

Kenwood TK790 High Power (1)
A4 VHF Spectra remote mount (1)
Kenwood TK280 Portable (1)
HT1250 Portable (2)
Kenwood TK780 (1)
XTS2500 (1)
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter

Post by chipjumper »

The 2100 bar is a great bar. Very bright and comparable to any of the Whelen Liberty series. Your frustration, and others, seem to float around the LED-X modules that are used in some of the 2100 bars. The Optix modules are the ones you need. I have no clue why Code 3 still sells the LED-X modules with all of these complaints. The Optix modules are pretty much the same as two TIR3's next to each other. I see the 2100 Optix bars flashing daily as the local PD around where I work pulls over everything that moves. Even in the bright sunshine the blues and reds bust through the glare.

MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

I know most 2100's dont have head sync capability, but I believe that patterns on the individual heads are changeable. My thought would be to change up the patterns on the heads to avoid dark time.
Mike
recoverycrazy
New User

Post by recoverycrazy »

go with the redtronic mega-flash 360 lightbar. you could buy 3 or 4 units for the same price of 1 code 3 lightbar. they're amazing quality and look even better. redtronic are very popular in europe and especially uk where they manufacture. they're releasing a new wide angle optic and lens very soon so i hear...

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”