Antennas on Chevy trucks?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SilasGore1

Antennas on Chevy trucks?

Post by SilasGore1 »

Okay, kind of a strange question, but here it goes...

The Chevy truck I am looking at has two antennas on it, one for OnStar and one for GPS. Now, can either antenna be used for another type of application such as scanner antenna or even a cell phone antenna?

I know nothing about this kind of stuff so I thought I'd ask here.

Tim
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

if you cut off the old connectors, and add new ones to fit your equipment ends, then yes....HOWEVER, you will only get reception in those bands. Considering how specifically those units are tuned, you will get very little past a couple of kHz in either direction, not really worth the work.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Well, we don't really have a forum for this, but it definitely doesn't belong in the computer section. Moving to O/T vehicle installations...

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Not gonna happen. I know some of the APRS guys have hacked the Onstar GPS to get NMEA strings out of it, but that's about it. The satellite antenna will have a downconverter in the antenna itself and will run low-frequency along the cable (this is how they get away with such tiny coax).

Drill hole, install mount, connect antenna, terminate to radio. Easy.
SilasGore1

Antenna..

Post by SilasGore1 »

I plan on installing another antenna, but I was hoping to utilize at least one of the two plastic lumps on the roof that are sort of worthless without paying a lot of extra money for their services... :roll:

Tim
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Forget using the satellite radio antenna. You might be able to make a GPS work on the GPS antenna (assuming it's nothing non-standard... it's definitely active and will require DC bias to run the amplifier) but that's about it.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Why would u Want to Disable you XM

XM rules OnA and ron and Fez
SafetyLighting

Re: Antennas on Chevy trucks?

Post by SafetyLighting »

SilasGore1 wrote:Okay, kind of a strange question, but here it goes...

The Chevy truck I am looking at has two antennas on it, one for OnStar and one for GPS. Now, can either antenna be used for another type of application such as scanner antenna or even a cell phone antenna?

I know nothing about this kind of stuff so I thought I'd ask here.

Tim
I'm pretty sure one antenna is for OnStar and the other is for XM Radio.
John
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The drivers side antenna is for Onstar and GPS. The right side is the XM antenna.

Don't bother trying to mod them for anything, its not worth it. Terry is correct that the only known good mod for most GM radios is the GPS/NMEA mod. However, when you do this, your OnStar will not work properly if you use the service (location information will not be available if you crash, etc).
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Double_Deuz

Post by Double_Deuz »

Company called Sti-Co makes antennas to replace AM-FM and adds your desired band to them
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

GPS Antenna

Post by KB2ZTX »

I currently use the GPS/Onstar antenna on my 06 Ford SD. The GPS has the standard SMA, however the Onstar hada funky connector. Cut it off and crimped on an TNC for my MDX Edacs Radio. Works great on low power. XM antenna hooked to my XM Radio.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”