Hopefully one last WILDCARD box wiring question?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firebuff17

Hopefully one last WILDCARD box wiring question?

Post by firebuff17 »

When wiring up the wildcard box can I only run 1 common to the switches? If so what amp should I protect it with?
If I need to run a seperate common to each switch what amp should I use to protect it this way?

What amp do I use for the switch illumination as well.

Are there premade cables for this or do I make my own with numerous small guage wire and using loom to bundle/protect?

What has everyone else done to use for wiring? I am only coming up with using a multi-wire thermostat wire like the 22/7. May have to use a couple of them depending on the use of the common wire (single or multiuse).

Thank you,
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232
twowaytekk

Wildcard

Post by twowaytekk »

Josh,

I made my own relay matrix to use with the Wildcard. I would recommend using a DB25 computer cable, and connecting it directly to a box containing your relays and fuses. The Wildcard switches are not rated for any high current drain. I would recoomend setting the common to ground. This way when you activate a switch it goes high. Set up your relays (bosch type 40 amp relays work good for high current) to ground. I used a long DB25 cable and mounted the relay box in the trunk of the vehicle.

Any ? ask.

Mark
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

A computer cable works well. Remember, these are very small guage wires, so figure 250ma for control. The backlights use nothing for amprage, so your safe there.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
firebuff17

Post by firebuff17 »

Thank you for the input. I also did think of the computer cable. 1) did not know who long I could get the and also be cost effective for the length ( I havnt priced them out) I am guessing I need about 15' or so. I want to hide the cable in my dash to underneath my seat. 2) Right now I want to wire the illumination up to my headlight switch. If I use the computer cable I would have to run a wire from the headlight switch to under my seat. Where I am mounting the switch box is only a foot away. This way the lights were not on whenever the truck is on and I would be able to see the switches well, but be able to turn the illumination on when I turn my headlights on when it got dark out.

Thanks
Josh S.
VFF/EMT
WQEU232
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

or you could wire the illumination circut to the ignition sense'd circut you were going to install everything on, so that the illumination would be on when the car was on. Sometimes an ignition sense circut is easier than catching' a headlight loop... :-)

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”