2000 ford explorer, console redux

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc0jar
What radios do you own?: M1225, P1225, HT1250, ICV8000

2000 ford explorer, console redux

Post by kc0jar »

Alright! I finally got tired of the messy wiring leading to, and inside my console. There were visable wires, which I wanted to change. In this old picture, you can see the wires covered with split loom running up under the dash from the console. There were also 4 sets of 1" split loom that ran out the back of the console to under the back seat where there was equipment sitting around.

Old pictures:

Tonight I decided to tackle the job. I started about 9pm, and with an hour break, I just finished at 7am. I removed the console, all my seats, and all the carpet in the seating area. I also pulled all the wires back to the trim and started over. Sorry, I was so tired when I got done that I forgot to take finished pictures, but I still have to install my strobe PS today, I'll get some pictures then.

Here's some 'during the event' pictures.

After removing the console and track. See all the messy wiring laying around from every which direction

Afer taking the carpet out.

Getting all the wiring layed out and taped to the floor. It looks messy, but the duct tape contrasting the the black just makes it look that way. I have several different routes I took, as some of the wires went from the engine compartment to the back seat, from the dash to the rear cargo area, from the rear seat to console, and from dash to console. I also had to make sure that no wires were near anything that could crush them when I put the seats and console back in. This is why I say it was organized chaos. There really is a method to the madness here, really, there is :D

Got the carpet back in. You can see the black wires, which are coax cables for a couple radios, a group of red wires, which go back to my arrowstick, and another group of red and white wires that go to the fuse block which goes inside the console. The black cable right under the dash is my GPS antenna coax which will get re-routed later today.

Here's the finished pics.

No wires going from the back seat to the console!! yay!

No wires going from the dash to the console!! yay!

The only things left I have to do are order some real brackets for the SW-200, and bolt the laptop mount back in. The open area is reserved for my IC-2720H and BCD996T when I get those after taxes come back.
firefighter105
What radios do you own?: Spectra,TK780,TK280,HT1250,XTS

Post by firefighter105 »

Hey there.. excellent job. you did an awesome job at that.

when you get more pics, please post them

Jason
joparka

lol

Post by joparka »

i see somthig verry wrong with this install your power cable to small and you ran the wires under the carpet where your feet go u will have a fire shortly in your vehicle hope you have full coverage my advice to you run your wire in the wire troff areas of your vehicle if you have wire under your feet the water and grime from your shoes will soak through and cause a short the yes a fire re route youe wires
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Joparka-

First, I see some large-gauge wire... 4ga or better... which is likely his master power. Running wires under the carpet is not a problem - the manufacturers do it frequently. It's not my choice, but that's a maintainability issue.

Also, please make some attempt to use proper English grammar in your posts - as it is, your post is nearly unreadable.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

(god that sight looked familiar....) as i look at it, since i know how the truck is laid out (as i had two), joparka, i don't see any kind of wiring under an area that can be crushed or anything like that...the floor pans under the foot wells are empty, and all i see is shielded multiconductor under the rear floor mats. I can't think of a single person who has a vehicle that does ANY kind of public service work that does NOT have a good set of husky mats or some kind of floormat, we're all weird that way! And i agree with tvsjr, looks like 4ga at the min running under the console area, i think you did a good job of finding spaces to run stuff, i've never gone THAT far to pull the entire interior apart, but the stuff that was run will be nicely covered by the interior parts you removed.

well done.
kc0jar
What radios do you own?: M1225, P1225, HT1250, ICV8000

Re: lol

Post by kc0jar »

joparka wrote:i see somthig verry wrong with this install your power cable to small and you ran the wires under the carpet where your feet go u will have a fire shortly in your vehicle hope you have full coverage my advice to you run your wire in the wire troff areas of your vehicle if you have wire under your feet the water and grime from your shoes will soak through and cause a short the yes a fire re route youe wires
The main power wire is 5ga from the battery to a fuse block. Then it splits in to 2 8ga wires. One goes to the console. One goes back to my subwoofer. and honestly, how can you tell which power wire goes where, to give you an idea that it was too small? None of the pictures are labled! Are you feeling ok?

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”