Ford E-350 Install

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Firecar96

Ford E-350 Install

Post by Firecar96 »

I'am doing an install on a Ford E-350, which will include 2 Code 3 mx7000 lightbars. This is the first time I have had to do an install invalving two lightbars. Is there anything I should know about doing a multiple lightbar install? Will the van be able to handle that kind of power draw? Will I need to put any extra things in it, like power managers, or relays for instance? If anyone has any comments or advice on this subject, of things I might want to watch out for, or include in this install, please let me know. I could use the help. Thanks
tvsjr

Re: Ford E-350 Install

Post by tvsjr »

Gas or diesel? What size alternator? What else are you installing? Will the lights be running at idle or only while moving? How long are the bars? How much "stuff" in them (we talking four rotators or 7 rotators + sweeps + flashers + strobes + etc.)?

If you're talking about two simple MXs (4 rotators each), you should be OK. If you're talking two pimped-out MXs, especially long ones, without an oversized alternator, you're going to run into problems.

If it's a gasser and the stock ~130A alternator, figure it'll do 70A at best at hot idle. Take 20A away to run the vehicular stuff, and you've only got 50A to play with. You'll burn through that far quicker than you think.

Personally, two full MX7000s on an E350 sounds pretty wacktastic to me.
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Its a gas. I guess now the customer wants to go with just one bar and a bunch of strobes and leds. Origanally it was going to be two 47 inch bars with 5 rotators each. So if he changes his mind again, it will be good to know if the truck could handle those bars. There just standard length standard set up mx bars. The truck will be idle while running the bars.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

1 rotator = 55 watt bulb + ~10 watt motor = 65 watts. 65*10=650/12.5=52A. No bueno.

2 four rotator bars is pushing matters. Plus, what else is he running? Radios? Computer?

Even a single bar plus "a bunch of strobes and LEDs" will probably push your limit. I'd seriously consider a high-output alternator from Vital or similar. Personally, I run dual alternators (from the factory - 260A, minimum 150A at hot idle).
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

Where could I get one of those high output alternators? How much are they? Could I do a pimped out mx bar and then a couple of strobes and leds?

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”