Considering Upgrade to SS2000

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Randy B

Considering Upgrade to SS2000

Post by Randy B »

I have used simple SPST switches in order to control my electronics for quite some time. As I add more electronics, I add more switches. I’m getting quite a nest of wires and a rather unorganized looking setup. I’m thinking about upgrading to a Federal Signal SS2000. I’ve seen a lot of discussion about them on here and most people have nothing but good to say about them. My main question is, can they operate without the siren/pa function? I’m only interested in controlling other electronics such as lights, etc. Would it be overkill? I do like the push button design and the audio alert feature of the SS2000 (and other touchpad units such as Whelen's Cencom, also). I especially like the fact that all my switches would be consolidated into one panel. Is there such a unit made by Federal Signal, Whelen, or anyone else that is intended to control only electronics that does not have a built in PA/Siren?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Considering Upgrade to SS2000

Post by FireCpt809 »

TST transportation safety technologies makes a touch pad switching unit. Its simular to a smart siren without a siren. They are nice but priceyhttp://www.tst-corp.com/pdfs/Controls_p ... VI%205.pdf
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

Brookings industry also has something that controls I think 6 switched outputs... not as expensive...

http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/16/2443.htm?248

(I am not afliated with that seller/site in any way, its just the first link google provided.)
-unlisted
c17loadsmasher

Post by c17loadsmasher »

Dooooo itttt. The SS2000 rocks! The programming is a little interesting, but otherwise it is a great unit. And to answer your question: Yes, they can operate without the siren/PA functions. You have have them disabled, or just not even bother hooking up a speaker.

Plain language is the DEVIL. Ten-Codes Forever!!!
bobbyaa
New User

Post by bobbyaa »

Be careful if you have the SS2000 with siren functions but just don't hook up a speaker. If there is no place for the speaker output to go if you accidentally bump it, you can end up blowing up your expensive siren. Also, notice that there is a considerable price difference between the SS2000 and the SS2000 with a traffic master. Just my input though. And yes, they are a mother to program
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

We have all SS2000 work great lots of neat sounds BUT when you are driving code to a hot call, the feel is not the same as a PA300/400/640 etc....... :lol:
RVC Truckie

Post by RVC Truckie »

I just finished putting one in my 05 Dakota and had no problems with the unit. I programmed it for my needs and found the programming manual was pretty straight forward.Prior to this I had no experience with these units.
John G.
Long Island, NY
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

I echo the above comments and would recommend that you unprogram the siren features of the unit, if you have no need for them. That way you protect yourself from activating it without a speaker. After checking for legality in your state, you may want to consider having a speaker for PA and radio rebroadcast feature.

One of the issues with programming the siren buttons as "deactivated" is that you completely use functionality of that that row of keys. You may also want to consider the Whelen Cencom, since this unit can be more versatile than the smart siren in terms of programming - IIRC, those keys intended for siren use may also be reprogrammed for switching purposes.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”