07 Explorer back windows

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rangerfourever

07 Explorer back windows

Post by rangerfourever »

New unmarked Chief squad in but needs side lighting. Anynone mounted LEDs in back door windows for side warning. I was thinking split lens Talons mounted on the front/rear door post. This vehicle has no cage thanks for the help

dave
Batwings21

Re: 07 Explorer back windows

Post by Batwings21 »

We have also mounted them on the door panel themselves. Just run the cable through the factory grommet/tubing that the power door locks/windows run through. We have used the SHo-ME lites, but I bet talons would work great also.
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

do you mount them on the door below the window or on the door post between front and back Our city traffic unmarked use the window mount but it does not seem to throw enough light trying to add corner strobes also up front thanks for any thoughts
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

rangerfourever wrote:do you mount them on the door below the window or on the door post between front and back Our city traffic unmarked use the window mount but it does not seem to throw enough light trying to add corner strobes also up front thanks for any thoughts
Please take a look at the right side of your keyboard. Many of those buttons are known as "punctuation." Please consider using them, as your posts will be much more comprehensible.
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Sorry, should not drive the squad and type at the same time.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

rangerfourever wrote:Sorry, should not drive the squad and type at the same time.
Yeah... having to write a letter to the chief explaining how you broke his squad while DWMDT is never a good thing.
firefighter105
What radios do you own?: Spectra,TK780,TK280,HT1250,XTS

Post by firefighter105 »

tvsjr wrote:
rangerfourever wrote:Sorry, should not drive the squad and type at the same time.
Yeah... having to write a letter to the chief explaining how you broke his squad while DWMDT is never a good thing.
I think that probably should be an OHS issue at the very least. Not smart :|
been seeing way too many people who are DWBAD

Kenwood TK790 High Power (1)
A4 VHF Spectra remote mount (1)
Kenwood TK280 Portable (1)
HT1250 Portable (2)
Kenwood TK780 (1)
XTS2500 (1)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

firefighter105 wrote:I think that probably should be an OHS issue at the very least. Not smart :|
I'm glad I've never been DWMDT... today. 8)
firefighter105

Post by firefighter105 »

DWMDT??//

I am new here.. Slightly confused :-?

HT1250 Portable (2)
Kenwood TK780 (1)
XTS2500 (1)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

firefighter105 wrote:DWMDT??//

Driving While MDTing. A typical explanation whenever you manage to run your squad head-on into a lightpole at 30mph, on a 6-lane divided highway, in dry weather, with not a soul around to be a contributing factor. DWMDT is like driving on the phone... you must have proper skills to execute the manuever without doing something stupid and having a wreck in the process. Like I said... I've, of course, never done any such thing. :)

There's a whole list... another common one is DWHUA - Driving With Head Up Ass. If they'd pass a law against DWHUA, cops wouldn't need the rest of the transportation code... that one offense would be enough to keep them hopelessly busy.
firefighter105

Post by firefighter105 »

tvsjr wrote:
firefighter105 wrote:DWMDT??//

Driving While MDTing. A typical explanation whenever you manage to run your squad head-on into a lightpole at 30mph, on a 6-lane divided highway, in dry weather, with not a soul around to be a contributing factor. DWMDT is like driving on the phone... you must have proper skills to execute the manuever without doing something stupid and having a wreck in the process. Like I said... I've, of course, never done any such thing. :)

There's a whole list... another common one is DWHUA - Driving With Head Up Ass. If they'd pass a law against DWHUA, cops wouldn't need the rest of the transportation code... that one offense would be enough to keep them hopelessly busy.

Or how about DWBAD??? Driving while being a deficit. LOL

Jason

HT1250 Portable (2)
Kenwood TK780 (1)
XTS2500 (1)
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

deficit huh?

I was positive it was Driving While Being A Dick.'

Aaaaaand to bring this back on topic...You can mount them at either the top or bottom of that little gimpy rear door secondary window for good side coverage, or as many i have seen...mount them inside the rear 3rd row windows. It seems to be 50/50 as some have mounted them off the top of the headliner near the top of the window, and some off the bottom of said window, so YMMV. If ya' have a roof top bar, i would say put it in the rear window, near the back... This way the tail of the vehicle is covered, as most roof bars have at least moderate side lighting.

I've even seen a couple places which have mounted TIR's or other lightheads off the roof rack facing sideways, and down in the running board areas.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Thanks for the input all. We will mount single Talons with split lens in the half window of the back doors. Looked at mounting them in the headliner and that seems to be the best location. We do have Federal Strobes in the rear side windows, but they do not cut through the tint. Not that the Chief runs "code" anyhow, but he still wants his squad set up right.
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

you are going to mount them in the headliner, so the light head never moves and the door opens away from them? I would be careful, all it takes is one person to get into the truck, slam a helmeted head into it and rip it off the headliner. Mounting them inside that window, off the door panel, so the lighthead essentially becomes integral with the door...prevents that.
" --Antonious Block
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Thanks thebigphish I will talk to the install guys Monday. Makes sense to have the light move with the door.
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

...and it helps out line the door's profile when viewing the vehicle from the front, as if the door is open...the light swings out away from the body lines, so as to light up the front of the door. Doesn't help you worth a damn to the rear, but that 's what 3m reflective tape is for along the door lip. :-)
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”